Author Topic: What a shame  (Read 822 times)

blade

• Star
    • View Profile
What a shame
« on: 17 January, 2021, 18:12:37 »
Sold a bsa to one of the members thinking it will be back on the road one day, by the way sold it cheap, just  found out he sold the registration number and scrapped the bike for parts, could have done that myself , also for sale on the forum parts books for sale ,surely every genuine bsa owners should share their information for free.

moderated by Forum Admin
« Last Edit: 17 January, 2021, 23:01:32 by Admin »

AdrianS

Re: What a shame
« Reply #1 on: 18 January, 2021, 07:36:50 »
I do share your sentiments. Have been caught out selling bikes and classic cars to fellow “enthusiasts” often for a rock bottom price thinking they would cherish any purchase only to find they bought purely to sell on at a profit. I am a bit of a softie in that respect and need to harden my attitude to trading!
Also been caught out buying when trusting a sellers description only to find out a load of hidden troubles!

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2021, 08:23:45 »
Hi,

I sympathise with Blade as it is always disappointing when people let you down.  I have been lucky in that I have only bought bikes from someone I know and bikes I know.  When selling I have told myself that once gone I must let go of any attachment.  This Forum is public and anyone can join it which is always a reason to be mindful that not everyone will be as committed as others.
I do not know if you are member of the BSAOC and/or the purchaser is (I hope not) but after being part of the BSAOC since the '70s I would consider that the best place to buy and sell BSAs is between BSAOC members.  This is even better if being part of a Branch as there will be more of an opportunity to get to know any bike being bought and any person being sold to.  There will also be other input to the process that should result in a good outcome for both parties.

Dave.
« Last Edit: 18 January, 2021, 09:00:48 by DAVE BRADY »

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 January, 2021, 11:43:33 »
 It used to be the rule that the vehicle had to be taxed, mot'd and insured for the road before you could have the registration no. put on retention. Since the introduction of Historic Vehicle status and no MOT required, it's opened up this kind of sharp practice.

I took my V5C for my 1955 Ariel Red Hunter to the post office to get the V5C updated to Historic Vehicle. The Postmaster zapped the bar code and before I knew it, it was updated, licenced and road legal. (It was of course on my Classic Insurance policy). He said, there you are. V5C updated, taxed etc. so you can continue riding it while they process and send you the updated V5C!
Only problem was, it was still in bits in my garage and loft so that may have been a bit difficult.

So, all that purchaser needed to do was put it on his classic insurance and DVLA would be happy to put on retention for him to sell the number.

By the way, the reg. no for my Ariel ASX 95 has been valued as being worth about half the value of the bike. As far as I'm concerned it will stay with the bike as long as I have it and I hope if I sell it on, the next owner will keep it too.

There are more important things in life than money!
Chris

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 January, 2021, 11:57:34 »
Hi,

Isn't there a way to get the number protected so that it cannot be sold or is that only for Age related numbers?

Dave.

Calum

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 January, 2021, 12:21:19 »
Hi,

Isn't there a way to get the number protected so that it cannot be sold or is that only for Age related numbers?

Dave.

I think you can, if you transfer it off the vehicle and back onto it again I believe it then becomes non transferable but I'm happy to be proven wrong!

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 January, 2021, 16:51:34 »
Dave,
I did enquire of the DVLA with that very question and at the time, they said no.

Calum,
I had a neighbour who changed his car every three months. Every time he got a new (used) one it was the best thing since sliced bread until the next one came along of course. Anyway, he used the same cherished no. for all of them, so I think the DVLA are happy to take the £80 charge every time you do it.

Chris

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 January, 2021, 17:52:57 »
I remember attending the Shepton Mallett classic bike auctions and autojumble many years ago (the auctions ended a fair few years ago) there was a BSA flat tanker for auction as had been ridden by the Debenham sisters at the Isle of Man, at the time it went for a big price around £3500 . these auctions were twice yearly. the following year ( 3 or 4 auctions later) the bike reappeared less it snumberplate and struggled to get £1500. Same bike, same history, different reg no.

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicMotorcycles/photos/the-debenham-sisters-on-their-bsa-motorcyclesengland-1925nancy-and-betty-debenha/743926565660552/