Author Topic: Air compressor question.  (Read 308 times)

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Air compressor question.
« on: 16 January, 2021, 16:22:44 »
Thinking of getting a compressor, mainly for cleaning carb circuits, spraying degreaser and pumping up tyres. What size tank should I chose and what PSI or Bar will I need. Been looking at one with 25 litres and about 100 PSI for about 130. Any advice would be good, I don't have too much room in the cave. OR if anyone in Essex wants to part with one please PM me.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Air compressor question.
« Reply #1 on: 16 January, 2021, 16:52:13 »
keep an eyeout at Lidl, Ive got a big sealey one at the unit. great for spraying but too big capacity, at home I bought a Lidl Parkside one comes with extension hose and they do a good range of tools. wait and you might get for 79.
my MOT tester also has one and I will probably be looking to get another as a replacement for the big sealey unless I do get the CNC miling machine which needs the added power and capacity to drive.

there is a review of one on youtube.    Parkside 24 litre air compressor

MGI

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 January, 2021, 17:15:11 »
I bought one from Lidl, it was about 80 as Chaz mentioned and as stated it came with loads of additional kit. The one drawback with it was the noise...it made a hell of a lot of noise when in operation (which is quite a lot of the time as a full tank does not last long) In fact when it kicked in unless you were expecting it, it will make you jump. The wheels on it were somewhat fragile too which is not a problem if it is mainly static. Eventually I got rid of it and replaced it with a Daewoo (I think - Di something) which has a similar performance but being oil free it minimises maintenance & oil level checking etc, but more importantly is is super silent, literally whisper loud.It also came with a similar set of ancillary kit. The silence is uncanny and because my 'cave' adjoins the house no one ever hears it in operation! Another fact I discovered when I purchased a 10 metre extension hose for the Lidl model, the connectors were not compatible. Fortunately the replacement unit has the same connecters as the 10metre extension. I didn't realise there were different connecters and it was sheer luck that I ended up with a paired hose. The other beneficial aspect of the second unit is that it came with a load of extra couplings, female, male & also a number of the clicky things they fit into which translates as I was able to change some of the original kit over to fit the replacement kit although most of it was duplicated!

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 January, 2021, 17:22:27 »
Great, thanks lads.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 January, 2021, 18:09:35 »
regarding connectors , there are  many different ones https://www.airsupplies.co.uk/pneumatic-fittings-and-accessories
 you will find  that unless very conscious of what ones you have , if you purchase a new tool chances are it will be wrong. Ive got a box of spares, ones I need/use and ones Ive replaced also ones that I can swap for other people.
personally I use the easy to seperate one handed twist couplings but also have Y connectors with twist and BC19 types.
easy enough to change though, 5 mins with ptfe tape

AdrianS

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 January, 2021, 20:56:39 »
Look at the SGS web site . They are based in Derby. A lot of my friends have bought from them and rate them highly. I bought a 50 litre tank one for about 100 plus vat and free delivery. Good cfm and 2 outlets. Also sell everything you may need at a very good price and also free delivery next day if your order is over 50 quid.

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 January, 2021, 18:03:04 »
Thank you all, what I don't want a loud one as described above. Wife's hoover drives me nuts.