Author Topic: Timing change on B33  (Read 1016 times)

Calum

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: Timing change on B33
« Reply #15 on: 27 December, 2020, 10:00:17 »
I see now that my timing may in fact be too far advanced as I kind of suspected. I am getting a .002" opening at the points at a measurement of 7/16" BTDC of compression stroke - but this is with my advance/retard lever set to full retart not full advance. So when I set the handlebar lever to full advance setting I get the .002" opening at the points at about 7/32" BTDC of compression stroke. I am thinking the timing has somehow slipped from when I first bought the bike a few months back. At time of purchase it started vary easy and ticked over nicely but now back firing when trying to start etc.

Also, it was weird becase when I checked the max opening of my points (should be .012" on my bike) I was surprised to see the lock nut for the points adjustment was not snug and the whole points assembly was kind of rattling around in the breeze so I assumed this was the sole cause of the issue but now that I see that the timing is a little too far advanced I will wait for my mag pinion puller to arrive and do my best to set the timing as recommended in my manual.

Can someone tell me please when I remove the timing cover do you normally replace the gasket? I am guessing I dont have to drain the motor oil out when pulling this timing cover off or is there more oil in this timing case area than I think?.....thanks a bunch ...... wayne

Forgive me, but surely the points opening at 7/32" BTDC is retarded compared to 7/16" BTDC, not advanced? Are you sure you are operating the advance/retard lever the correct way? You need to ascertain whether you have taught or slack wire advance.

If the points weren't at the correct gap this too will alter the timing once set correctly.

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 December, 2020, 10:56:09 »
Just to confirm what Calum says....

Cable entering top right is pull to advance, entering top left is slacken to advance.

Cheers,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

WayneBergman

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 December, 2020, 18:09:41 »
Thanks Calum and Bernie, I will double check again today. For sure my mag is a tight line for advance. The entrance of the cable is on the right of the unit when looking at it from the points cover. I have been told before I have a way of making something that is simple sound complicated, I am sure I am at it again :(. ....wayne

WayneBergman

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 December, 2020, 20:33:59 »
Sorry to waste everyones time here on this one. Long story short the full advance setting was giving pretty close to  3/8" BTDC - points @ 002" just opening so this looks like it should be just fine. On full retard (slack cable) things are pretty close to TDC of the Comp stroke with the .002" points gap so pretty sure this is fine. I will spare the details on how I came to the incorrect conclusions earlier in this thread, murderous attempt at best.

WayneBergman

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 December, 2020, 01:48:20 »
OK just gave it a good kick and she is running and ticking over nice. All this head scratching and confusion over the points adjustment lock nut not being tight. I guess because the bike started runnng bad just after my stressing the mag cable adjustment I was convinced it was more of a timing issue , so happy ending........thanks again for the input guys....wayne

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 December, 2020, 08:31:45 »
Hi Wayne,

Great news on solving the riddle.  I am not familiar with the singles magnetos but now if I come across somebody having a problem I can at least suggest that they check the points lock nut.  This is how we learn.
2021 is going to be good riding year.

Dave.

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 December, 2020, 08:56:21 »
Well done!

That lock nut is really hard to get tight if you don't have exactly the right spanner (and I still don't!).

Glad you got it all sorted.

Cheers,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

Dennis49

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 December, 2020, 09:15:45 »
Nice to know you got it sorted, plus you learned how helpful the guys on this forum are.