Author Topic: Two things  (Read 757 times)

royblackburn1@btinternet.

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Two things
« on: 28 November, 2020, 01:12:02 »
Hi all, two things I want to ask first when annealing a copper washer I believe it has to be cherry hot then what do you do let it cool or dunk it in oil to cool, second is what position should the needle be in on a amal concentric carb for a 1966 A65L some say second grove some say third thanks, Roy

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Two things
« Reply #1 on: 28 November, 2020, 10:16:44 »
I think you can let it cool or quench it in water, no need for oil.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 November, 2020, 10:20:38 »
Btw, when I worked in a workshop ( long ago) I think we would heat copper to dull red (not quite so hot as cherry red) before quenching in water.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 November, 2020, 10:29:40 »
Hi,

Manual in data section says needle pos.2.  In tuning section it says alter to get best running.  Start with pos.2 and see how it goes.  Worn needle and needle jet will cause a rich mixture so lower to pos.1.
New carb or needle and jet pos.2 should be fine.
Check plug colour or use a Colortune to see the colour of combustion with the engine running.

Dave.

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 November, 2020, 10:36:22 »
Hi Roy,

Depends on which carb, Amal suggests 4th or third:

http://amalcarb.co.uk/carbspec/carburettor/spares/id/6582/

http://amalcarb.co.uk/carbspec/carburettor/spares/id/6586/

I always drop copper in water, it dislodges the oxidization. Using oil to quench, hardens steel without cracks or if you get the temp right it adds blue to slow corrosion.

Best wishes...

« Last Edit: 28 November, 2020, 10:47:42 by Bess »

B Murphy

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 November, 2020, 11:30:48 »
A trick that I was told by a blacksmith, rub the copper object in a bar of hand soap then heat the object up until the soap goes black and then put it under the cold tap.

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 November, 2020, 18:43:23 »
Thanks for all replies got a lot of information, so will heat it to dull colour (with soap) and drop in water, the bike came with concentrics got some good info from Amal tech dept , Dave you jogged my memory I will find my colour tune out I run the bike with no air slides the cable holes on top  are sealed just tickle carbs to start should the air slides although not being used remain in the carbs. Roy

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 November, 2020, 19:20:56 »
A dull (ie darkish) red is, I believe, the right colour.

To digress slightly, when I was taught to harden and temper steel, many years ago, what was called "cherry red" was not really what I would call  the colour of the average cherry. It was brighter than that. Closer to an orange than a cherry, I thought!  But then my colour vision is pretty terrible.

Calum

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 November, 2020, 12:49:19 »
A dull (ie darkish) red is, I believe, the right colour.

To digress slightly, when I was taught to harden and temper steel, many years ago, what was called "cherry red" was not really what I would call  the colour of the average cherry. It was brighter than that. Closer to an orange than a cherry, I thought!  But then my colour vision is pretty terrible.
I agree, when annealing copper especially I was told 'cherry red' then shown something which resembles bright orange! ;D

Anywhere between dull red and just before melting (!) will be fine for annealing copper, no need for soap, and quench in water. I only use the soap trick for annealing aluminium.

Group Leader

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 November, 2020, 18:37:19 »
I thought the soap trick was for annealing aluminium (that's certainly what I use it for and it works a treat!), "soap" blacking temp wouldn't have been high enough for annealing copper I would have thought. 

As others have said, cherry red (in subdued light).

Alan

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 November, 2020, 19:12:02 »
Thanks everyone I now know, Roy

B Murphy

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 November, 2020, 23:52:56 »
The soap trick was from a blacksmith, saying that he only worked in blacksmithing for 40 years  ;).