Author Topic: C15 oil banjo thingys  (Read 357 times)

Morleydog

• Star
    • View Profile
C15 oil banjo thingys
« on: 22 November, 2020, 14:49:21 »
Hi all. I'm on the final straight now with the rebuild of my C15.
Just after a bit of advice:
Are the copper washers on either side of these oil feed banjo thingys enough to seal.
Or would you smear a bit of gasket seal on the?
I say this because when I came to clean them up, there was evidence that there had been some on before.

Ian C

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: C15 oil banjo thingys
« Reply #1 on: 22 November, 2020, 15:11:16 »
I annealed the copper washers before fitting on my B44 and they provide a good seal. I also made sure the mating faces of the banjo's were in good condition and clean etc..

Calum

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 November, 2020, 19:13:29 »
Copper washers shouldn't need anything else in order to seal. As above, I anneal all copper washers before fitting or refitting, and also pay attention to the mating surfaces and look for any damage or marks which may allow oil to pass. An annealed washer should deform to fill any damaged spots or scratches but a little attention to detail pays dividends when trying to eliminate leaks etc. Just heat them up to a nice red colour and quench in water. A gas ring on the hob should easily do washers of that size.

If they are new copper washers it is also worth trying them on a magnet first... I have had new 'copper' washers come with an engine gasket set for a car that were VERY hard even after annealing... then I found they stuck to a magnet(!!) :o

Morleydog

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 November, 2020, 10:38:04 »
Thanks for the responses.

cee-b

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 November, 2020, 16:06:23 »
Great advice already given above.

Additionally, my reason for NOT using a bit of gasket seal would be the risk of any excess squeezing out and getting into the oil system. You can virtually guarantee that, if it does, it'll block something you'd really rather not have blocked.