Author Topic: Grease Guns  (Read 171 times)

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Grease Guns
« on: 03 November, 2020, 18:06:12 »
My dads old grease gun has give up. I know the thread sizes on nipples have gone metric, but has the grease fitting changed or do modern guns fit our old swinging arm nipples. Thanks.

Gadorey

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: Grease Guns
« Reply #1 on: 03 November, 2020, 21:16:47 »
Modern nipples with imperial threads are readily available. I just bought a bunch of modern 1/4” BSF nipples for my BSA Sloper and an Ariel Sq4. The nipples on both bikes, being nearly 30 years apart, were also different, although the threads were the same. However, the modern grease guns do not work with the original nipples, or at least I wasn’t able to find a fitting for them. So the best alternative for me was to replace them with modern ones.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 November, 2020, 07:43:41 »
the other option is look at ebay for old guns as long as nipples arent damaged. I found a pack of old nipples on ebay this year.
next option, if and when is auto jumbles or antique shops. Ive gained a few old ones from work clearing out or elderly relatives clearing out their hoards.

Calum

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 November, 2020, 08:45:34 »
My view would be to replace with new nipples. The original style, I assume, were the type where the gun doesn't click on? For this type you really need the right type of gun not just the right fitting. The gun would need to be the type where you push the whole grease gun against the nipple which helps create a seal. The modern types are much more forgiving for 'misalignment' with the gun so make greasing some points much easier and generally much cleaner and less messy in general. Lots of old nipples also leak back out as the spring and ball get damaged or worn.

Each to their own though - for a truly concours or prize winning resto modern zinc plated nipples wouldn't cut the mustard. For a usable rider I would replace them all given their very small cost.