Author Topic: Lacquer or not  (Read 400 times)

MJM_58SR

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Lacquer or not
« on: 03 November, 2020, 15:02:26 »
Hi all
Any opinions on lacquering after my painter puts the transfers on the oil tank and toolbox please, they are the stick on ones through the club mag?
Also
Are there any people well versed in exactly where the transfers go (measurements etc) please?
Thanks
« Last Edit: 03 November, 2020, 15:04:21 by MJM_58SR »

Calum

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: Lacquer or not
« Reply #1 on: 03 November, 2020, 15:25:42 »
A clear varnish should help protect them, but not sure if there is any recommendation for the adhesive transfers?

I've just fitted a waterslide 'piled arms' to my rear number plate bracket and it's had two coats of brushing varnish over the top. My only mistake was rubbing the gloss back for a key before applying the waterslide - I only did it with a scotchbrite enough for the first varnish as I thought it would be easier before the transfer went on, but the background to the transfer looks slightly grey now not a deep black - oh well I'll know next time (I don't think I've applied one since I did airfix kits as a kid!)
« Last Edit: 03 November, 2020, 15:28:15 by Calum »

MJM_58SR

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 November, 2020, 15:32:11 »
Thanks Calum
Hope it still looks a good job for you.
I was thinking I would do waterslide but when I ordered them they came as adhesive type. I got them out of the club mag as I wanted to support that rather than eBay.
Martyn

Calum

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 November, 2020, 15:37:27 »
Yes I'm happy enough with it, it's certainly not bad enough for me to want to do it again! It's not a show bike by any means.
I got mine from the VMCC (currently awaiting my BSAOC application to be processed)

MJM_58SR

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 November, 2020, 15:59:41 »
Iíll post a photo of mine when I get them back (unless it all goes horribly wrong!)

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 November, 2020, 18:02:27 »
My painter puts clear over the stickers, but he always lets them stand for about 3 days first to ensure the glue dries right out.

MJM_58SR

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 November, 2020, 21:20:06 »
Something worth thinking about then