Author Topic: Gear box  (Read 146 times)

spike123

• Star
    • View Profile
Gear box
« on: 27 October, 2020, 06:32:48 »
Hi fellas
My 1967 a65 Iíve just put back together does the gearbox oil find its way into the outer cover or is there something Iíve forgotten to install to stop this from happening as I have oil in it. And why does my clutch ramp click when pulled
Hope you can help
Mark

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Gear box
« Reply #1 on: 27 October, 2020, 08:00:07 »
Hi Spike,

The gearbox oil should not get in to the outer cover and there is no gasket for this joint.  The possible seepage spots are where the gear change and kickstart shafts come through but they sit above the oil level.  Does oil come through with the engine not running or only when the gearbox is turning?
There was mention of clicking balls a while back and I think the Editor had the best explanation so I think he will comment on this.

Dave.

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 October, 2020, 16:22:52 »
Here are my musings as mentioned by Dave.

'the cam balls in the cases will turn out of their indents and make a noise'.

Ah yes the dreaded click! No it's not the clutch cable giving way as most riders think when they first experience it. The OIF ones are worse for doing this as the travel on the Lucas h/bar levers is greater than the distance of the lever on the lift mechanism in order to just bring the balls to the top. It takes a bit of fiddling to get it just right but it is achievable, (it only took me about 12 years).

If you poke your finger through the hole in the outer case, then you can lift the mechanism quite a way with your finger. All this is doing is taking up the slack. The travel beyond this to lift the balls to the top is quite short. If you check this with the cover off you will see just how much.

Compare that with the travel at the clutch lever and you will see that it is roughly the same as the total travel on the ball mech. So, the trick is to adjust the clutch lever to start when the cable is just about held in to the mech. 

Hope you can make sense of this.
Chris

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 October, 2020, 18:22:15 »
Hi,
     The click issue, this thread is worth a read:

https://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/bsaoc_forum/index.php?topic=1989.msg8583#msg8583

Best wishes...

spike123

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2020, 00:24:25 »
Thanks
Iíll have to take the inner cover off again to check but the bike is just sitting there at the moment. Might be the gear change

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 October, 2020, 08:51:21 »
Hi,

One last 'just in case' suggestion before taking the inner case off.  Check the gearbox oil level. If it is seeping out with the bike not running there may be too much oil in there.

Dave.

spike123

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 October, 2020, 09:41:55 »
Thanks dave