Author Topic: New paint and new fuel taps  (Read 175 times)

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
New paint and new fuel taps
« on: 25 October, 2020, 17:22:54 »
Collect my tank from the paint shop this week and don't want to spoil it. I put a 1/4" BSP gas plug in it to protect the threads. The new paint will be right up to the plug. Considering putting a new dowty washer on my new tap dry 'OR' shall I put liberal coats of Wellseal on the thread and washer. Might seem a bit picky but the paint was expensive. Thank you.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: New paint and new fuel taps
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2020, 17:57:30 »
if its a parallel BSP fitting then I usually use fibre washers of a thickness that places the tap in the correct position when tightened. presumably they used a petrol resistant lacquer? I had one done once that wasnt!!

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 October, 2020, 18:06:18 »
The tap has a straight thread and locking nut to keep it in line. You are right I have had two bad ones in the past Hence the question ? Thanks.

BEESY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 October, 2020, 20:23:28 »
I dont know what they are called but I used copper type washer that has a rubber doughnut type thing in it. Sandwich style. As you tighten it up it squashes the rubber to make a good seal .

BEESY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2020, 20:28:08 »
Like this

DON GRAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 October, 2020, 10:10:19 »
Be very careful with new paint & fuel!  ::) i know to my cost that any slight weep about the tap threads will attack / get under any fuel proof clear coat a b*gger it up! I use a combination of PTFE tape on the tap thread & good fitting fibre washers. "Stat O seal" washers are also the thing to use too if you have them. Good luck!.

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 October, 2020, 14:51:52 »
Thanks lads, thought I would get ridiculed for asking a question like this. 

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 October, 2020, 20:00:09 »
its the sort of thing we all come across, especially when its out of your control.
I had a feint phoenix air brushed onto my A10 tank. it isnt a concours bike so not a problem.
I then decided that I needed to seal the inside because of rust, left the seal for a while in one place and it burnt the paint outside. next time do it the other way around.
 my recent chop was sprayed and lacquered, good job . I put fuel in and no problem until the vapours got under the cap and the rubber seal , started lifting the lacquer. took it back and he said he normally leaves the top unpainted, but forgot this time. all sorted now.