Author Topic: Odie rubbers  (Read 237 times)

BruceB

• Star
  • I love getting my leg over
    • View Profile
Odie rubbers
« on: 12 December, 2020, 20:21:41 »
My 66 bike had all the rubber parts missing from the Odie fixings holding on the side covers. I bought four of the tube type and four of the washer type rubbers as per the parts manual but I am confused about how to fit them.
I assumed the tubes when on the inside of the cover and the washers on the outside but apart from the one single longer Odie where I have done this it doesn't work.
How should these parts fit or should it just be a washer on the inside only holding on the odie to the cover?
BSA Spitfire Mk11 plus more modern friends keeping her company.

BruceB

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: Odie rubbers
« Reply #1 on: 13 December, 2020, 15:23:48 »
A simpler question that may make more sense.
Do you have rubber washers on the outside of your side covers between the head of the Odie and the cover or are the odies in direct contact with the cover?

AdrianS

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 December, 2020, 21:31:18 »
I have used rubber washers under the head of the oddie stud and even used a short piece of rubber tubing to take up any slack. I put the washer outside of the cover so the oddie screw doesn’t scratch the panel.

BruceB

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 December, 2020, 23:21:27 »
I did try that but the Odies won't then catch as they are held out too far away.
Also looking at period pics I can't see any sign of rubber washers under the Odies on the outside.
This is why I was confused as the parts manual says there should be 4 washers and 4 tubes fitted?

geraldhattrick75

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 December, 2020, 23:31:28 »
I've recently bought some for my 1965 A65 Lightning and to my menial understanding, and as mentioned: the washer goes under the Odie stud head to protect the paintwork while the sleeve slides up the shaft (use WD40) on the inside of the panel and helps keep the panel under suspension when locked (slot vertical) and helps pop the panel off when twisted 90 degrees.

This is why I was confused as the parts manual says there should be 4 washers and 4 tubes fitted?
That'll be two washers and tubes for each panel....

Er, probably...

Mind,none of the odies lined up with their mounting hole on mine- without a lot of modifying and making of brackets.

« Last Edit: 13 December, 2020, 23:33:01 by geraldhattrick75 »

BruceB

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 December, 2020, 00:52:29 »
The parts manual says 4 of each in total required so yes, two of each per side.
My bike had no rubber parts on the odies at all.
I fitted them as you say but the Odies then won't reach the clip to hold on the panel, I may look at the Odies again and see if they are correct ones, starting to wonder if they are shorter than they should be. Not quite sure where you measure them, may have to order one to compare with what I have.
Just sorting out all these little bodges over the winter, there are always some that need to be fettled no matter how good any previous restoration was.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 December, 2020, 08:09:13 »
I had a thin washer under the head of the stud, as mentioned to prevent wear/damage to the paint. If the rubber tube is too long I cut down to suit. probably a case of chinese whispers. if one was taken and used to cut the next it would grow a little each time.
better long to cut than short and it still rattles.
are there two lengths of tubes, one for metal covers and one for fibre glass which may be thicker, but only the one length of tube( part number). If I recall, there are a couple of lengths of Oddie screws in the BSA catalogue.

AdrianS

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 December, 2020, 09:21:21 »
Regarding to the use of rubber washers, when I bought my B40 which was pretty much original but needed restoring, the washers under the odie studs appeared to be thin leather. Certainly wasn’t rubber so not sure what was originally fitted.

geraldhattrick75

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 December, 2020, 12:29:57 »
Just measured mine (ooh er missus) and measurement from under the flat head to the 'V' part of the stud (the bit which allows the spring clip to grip on) is 20mm.....

AS mentioned earlier I had to twist and bend the rear bracket on the nearside panel, and make a bracket for the front one (both sides)... See piccies. (incidentally the seat sits closer and neater than the picture shows)

Hope this helps.

Say if you need more info.

Dave.
« Last Edit: 14 December, 2020, 12:32:53 by geraldhattrick75 »