Author Topic: BSA A65 Spitfire Values  (Read 483 times)

BruceB

• Star
  • I love getting my leg over
    • View Profile
BSA A65 Spitfire Values
« on: 21 October, 2020, 19:17:18 »
I have just sold my trusty old Matchless 650 and decided to buy an A65 to replace it. Seen a few Mk3 Spitfires around but at widely varying values that don't seem to relate to condition.
For a matching numbers, essentially "correct", bike that is an original UK bike what sort of value are they?
From a running oily rag one to a decent one in good condition to a concours one? Just general ballpark figures to base the search on would be helpful to ascertain rough values of the ones I am looking at.
BSA Spitfire Mk11 plus more modern friends keeping her company.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: BSA A65 Spitfire Values
« Reply #1 on: 22 October, 2020, 07:40:34 »
I dont think there is a ball park figure. its up to seller to put a price on he wants to chance his arm for then its up to the buyer to agree on a price he is willing to pay. chances are  a matching home market machine in top class condiition could make double or more than .
my youngest just bought a small classic from a collegue for a grand, needs a lot of work and after looking at it the engine needs stripping. on reflection I told him if I had seen it I would have offered 700. he dosnt have the money to rebuild it so put it up for sale at 1700 and has two possible  buyers at 1500 and 1600.
that said, two new wheels and tyres, a new seat and partial new exhaust is a fairly big chunk of value the new owner wont have to pay.

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 October, 2020, 10:09:52 »
There is a near perfect 1966 MkII  for sale in the November Showroom. I know this bike's provenance and what has been spent on it to get it to it's present condition. It's up for sale at £7500 and I doubt you will find one better at this price.
If I had the spare cash and more importantly space, it would not be advertised as I would have had it.
It has been fully rebuilt by a guy I know personally and trust, it has had no expense spared on it. For instance, the tank was specially made in alloy as the original fibreglass one was ethanol melted etc. It's got brand new concentrics etc. and apparently runs beautifully. 
If you are serious about it email me, editor@bsaownersclub.co.uk and I will send you the details in advance.
Chris

BruceB

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 October, 2020, 10:51:52 »
I know about the difference between monies laid out and value, my Matchless did not recover half of what I paid out to get it to the condition it was sold for.
  However I was realistic about what it was worth and it sold easily and I am reasonably happy with what I got for it, the receipts are just paper now and I had some years of riding it around.
All I am really looking for is a rough idea of what Spitfires are actually worth, not the asking prices but what they actually go for in real life.  I know this is a "how long is a piece of string question" but since I am for the first time looking at the top end of the market to buy to try and get a really good one my experience has always been that something always needs to be done no matter how perfect the bike looks. I am trying to pay what its worth rather than what is being asked and unsure of what this is likely to be in reality?

BruceB

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 October, 2020, 12:14:31 »
There is a near perfect 1966 MkII  for sale in the November Showroom. I know this bike's provenance and what has been spent on it to get it to it's present condition. It's up for sale at £7500 and I doubt you will find one better at this price.
If I had the spare cash and more importantly space, it would not be advertised as I would have had it.
It has been fully rebuilt by a guy I know personally and trust, it has had no expense spared on it. For instance, the tank was specially made in alloy as the original fibreglass one was ethanol melted etc. It's got brand new concentrics etc. and apparently runs beautifully. 
If you are serious about it email me, editor@bsaownersclub.co.uk and I will send you the details in advance.
Chris

Possibly, I ideally want a mid to late sixties Lightning but have been attracted by the later Spitfires. I am a bit more wary about the possibly more fragile Mk2's but would have a look at it.

AdrianS

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 October, 2020, 17:34:40 »
I am always very wary of how bikes are described when advertised. Nearly all the bikes ( British) Iíve bought have always come with a good number of problems and cost a lot more to sort out than budgeted for! One mans mint is anotherís scrap.

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 October, 2020, 18:06:19 »
Agreed, but if you are referring to the one I mentioned above, I know the people who have done the work on this one and can vouch for it! How many bikes have you bought where you have known this?

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 October, 2020, 18:28:09 »
Hi,

I would like to think that any bike offered for sale by a BSAOC member is described honestly and although there is no guarantee The Star is a good place to start selling and buying BSAs.  Even more so if the bike is not available to anyone before it is seen in The Star for all BSAOC members to see and have an opportunity to buy.

Dave.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 October, 2020, 18:33:10 »
The 1966 A50 and A65 did suffer from piston seizure problems.

The main cause was traced to a rogue spark causing high temperature in combustion chamber.

This was caused by the design of the contact breaker cam, and redesign of the cam largely solved the issue. I would expect most that 1966 models would have been fitted with the revised cam, or electronic ignition by this time.

The USA service bulletin below explains.

BruceB

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 October, 2020, 18:36:58 »
For a matching numbers, essentially "correct", bike that is an original UK bike what sort of value are they?
From a running oily rag one to a decent one in good condition to a concours one? Just general ballpark figures to base the search on would be helpful to ascertain rough values of the ones I am looking at.

Guys, I appreciate the input but it is this basic info I am looking for about relative actual values of Mk3 Spitfires in the condition stated above.
 I am looking at one or two at the moment and they are widely different in pricing points but look the same externally. While I don't mind paying top dollar to get what I want I also want to make sure I am not paying over the odds for it and questions and answers can only provide a certain amount of confidence in the condition, sometimes you have to take the covers off to be sure :-\ .
 I am aware of the "hidden horror that looks shiny" issue, just went through that over the last five years on my outgoing Matchless that was supposedly "rebuilt" and in good condition.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 October, 2020, 19:02:05 »
I dont think that the information you seek is readily available from forum members.

I suspect that only a limited number of Spitfires are being sold annually which makes it difficult for anyone even to guestimate realistic values. The best pointer may be past auction prices, though again I suspect there will be only a limited number.

Most Spitfires went to the USA and many have been reimported so not so many pure UK market models out there.

BruceB

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 October, 2020, 19:17:24 »
The auctions I can find are limited and prices quite low.
   I know what you mean about limited data but even opinion of a value, even if it is just what someone would be willing to pay themselves rather than an actual sale price would be helpful. it is precisely the lack of data that is causing me issues.
 I have found decent looking original UK machines sold at auction a few years ago at £4k,
  Other similar machines I have found for sale up to £7k. I am making the assumption that an original UK Mk3 in decent condition, but not concours, may be currently worth somewhere in the region of 5-7k?
Does that sound realistically too high or low would maybe be a better question than my original one?

« Last Edit: 22 October, 2020, 19:21:34 by BruceB »

Pete A10

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 October, 2020, 21:37:45 »
Any bike always has two values. The first is if you are a seller, the second is if you are a buyer. I think bike prices are suffering in the same way as house prices have over the last few years. If you look at what houses are supposedly worth there is probably a 75 to 100 percent increase over rebuild value when you insure them. I believe that bike prices are driven by people's desire to own them rather than what they are worth. Over the last five years the cost of buying a non- running resto project has probably doubled - not because that is what they are worth but because that is what people think they can get for them.
As they always say, any item is worth what somebody else will pay for it and it has nothing to do with value!! The cult of "Collector bikes" has ruined the market and made it very difficult for the amateur restorer to buy old iron that can be economically rebuilt. The hobby has become a business.
Sorry if this sounds like a rant but I've been looking for a couple of specific bikes for a while and I am gobsmacked by what people think a box of bits is worth.

BruceB

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 October, 2020, 21:57:54 »
Guys, I am not disagreeing which much that is being said about prices as it is all familiar to me as well.
However I am looking at a particular bike type at the moment and without previous experience of the selling prices of them and little information online I am just trying to work out just what the price of one is realistic, even a few opinions of I think that is it worth around £xx would be helpful to make my own mind up.
This is why I have defined the bike condition and status as obviously condition has a lot to do with price.
Alternatively does anybody strongly disagree with my thoughts that depending on condition a decent Mk3 is worth around £5-7k or thereabouts?
Or would folk consider one worth more?, or less?

wardy

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 October, 2020, 22:36:44 »
I'd echo some of the previous statements. If you want to buy something you will have to pay an aware seller the market rate. Whether you or I think it's worth it is not going to change that - you either buy it or not. I guess the internet has made prices more transparent so your chances of coming across a real bargain are pretty slim. If you look at sold prices on EBay or look at someone like Baxter Cycle or whatever you'll get an idea. At least our hobby is fairly affordable - I work in automotive, you can pay £3,000 plus for a performance car's carbon ceramic brake disc. That's each. Plus VAT. You only get one life and if you want it, buy it!