Author Topic: A65 OIF centre stand spring  (Read 156 times)

wardy

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
A65 OIF centre stand spring
« on: 18 October, 2020, 14:06:07 »
Hi folks - trying to fit the above but it's hard work - cunning dodges welcome...

Ian C

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: A65 OIF centre stand spring
« Reply #1 on: 18 October, 2020, 16:00:06 »
I tried praying to the great shed God 'It'lldo' whilst trying the BSA recommended practice of using a substantial Phillips screwdriver with the tip touching the stand spring hook and levering, but alas this proved to be unsatisfactory.. In the end I removed the stand hinge bolts then fitted the spring and forced the stand back into position then replaced the bolts.. HTH

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 October, 2020, 16:01:42 »
I agree, its difficult. I've done it many times with the 'slide it on the peg down a phillips screwdriver' but the last time it didnt want to play ball.
So, I got the special hook that spares suppliers sell but there's not room under the bike to get a good pull. So, I got some this wire, twisted one end around the handle on the proprietory hook and looped the other around an M5 screw and put that through the rear chain from the underside, with a nut on the top. Using the leverage of the back wheel it pulled it back far enough to hook it through the loop on the stand.

Let me know if this works for you

Chris

wardy

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 October, 2020, 16:27:11 »
Thanks guys will give it a go

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 October, 2020, 16:36:59 »
Hi,
    I made a tool, 5/16" dia, 1/16" wall thickness, 15" long tube. Cut end as shown in images , slip into spring eye and lever on.

Best wishes...

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 October, 2020, 10:26:48 »
 :) :) :)

I have found that if you put a washer in between every coil on the spring each on opposite sides it will length the spring considerably. Usually enuf to make it much easier to use a screwdriver to stretch the last little bit.

Must say I like the idea that Bess posted.

I shall look into making a spring stretcher.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 October, 2020, 11:43:17 »
I tried that a few years ago Mike, the skin on my fingers and thumbs has nearly grown back. ;D

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 October, 2020, 15:42:35 »
Hi,

I always use the 'fit the spring and fight it' method.  Fit the spring on its hooks  Using a screwdriver through one side and using the leverage of the stand get the other side lined up and push the pivot pin in.  As it goes through the screwdriver is removed.  This seems easiest with the stand in its 'up' position as I think this is when the spring is at its shortest.

Dave.

wardy

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 October, 2020, 19:45:57 »
Hi everyone - managed it OK. Engage spring at lower end, stretch with stout lever, slide a few coins in the coils, remove stout lever and lever on with long slender screwdriver. Thanks for all tips

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 October, 2020, 12:46:09 »
 :) :) :) :)

Used washer method yesterday. Never caught fingers but when the spring flew back the inside of my shed was like being in a shrapnel shower with washers flying everywhere.

Actually I've come up with an idea for a spring stretcher----Let you know.

Mike 8) 8) 8) 8)