Author Topic: Shed  (Read 271 times)

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Shed
« on: 16 October, 2020, 11:45:53 »
Well, not so much shed as garage really. My wife and I are house-hunting. One thing I'm looking forward to, when we eventually find somewhere, is getting the garage as I want it. Workbench, lighting, shelving, etc etc. A window by the bench would be great. Maybe even a dartboard  would add to the fun. Am I just an old saddo? What makes a good shed/ garage/ workshop?   Phil

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Shed
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2020, 12:28:01 »
first thing on our list is garage, bigger the better. If I could get rid of my unit and bring it home would be good.
trouble nowadays, builders know we dont park cars in garages now so just leave parking spaces, or those that have garages are treated as garden sheds (probably with modern estates being constructed with social housing, sheds being easy pickings), or they get converted to additional rooms.
Older houses are better options. Attached garages or built in are nice for working on cold days, one house we had had the heating boiler in the garage, toasty. those unattached tend to be colder and tools get rusty. the downside of an attached garage can be smells leaking into the house.

you need power and light, a solid bench, windows are good for natural light but get dirty and remove storage space. decent racking and some way of locking a tool box/chest down to the floor. If possible an alarm system and flood light.
Brick built , concrete floor pitch or flat roof but not asbestos sheeted oh, and good solid doors .

idie

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2020, 12:33:27 »
You don't need windows, use LED lighting panels. They are just like working in daylight.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2020, 12:34:55 »
Hi,

I would be a bit worried about a dart board - wayward darts hitting tanks etc.
Definitely a good bench.  Make it quite deep so that there is plenty of room and tailor it to your height.  Space to walk around the bike/bikes is good and a bike lift makes life so much easier.  Having things like primary drive at bench height is much better and removing wheels is easier.

Dave.

craigc11g

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 October, 2020, 16:04:06 »
i have both and like a wooden floor , its warmer

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 October, 2020, 16:22:37 »
Hi,

Another thing that I have found very useful is a compressor.  It does not have to be large but great when it comes to cleaning out holes, jets, oil ways etc.  Oh, and it is handy for pumping up tyres especially when fitting new ones.

Dave.

BEESY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 October, 2020, 16:58:29 »
Go as big as you can. You'll fill it up. Big bench by a window is my preference. A good vice at one end to leave space in the middle of the bench. Wooden floor. Maybe old carpet for warmth. Plenty of shelving. Couple of electric sockets. Small electric fan heater. Oh and a radio too.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 October, 2020, 17:19:15 »
I say a windo, primarily as a way of monitoring fumes from a cleaning bench as middle of winter you dont want to be opening big front doors to get air in, also when running the engines opening window and door allows fumes to clear.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 October, 2020, 20:04:00 »
 :) :) :) :)

What makes a good shed/garage????????/

You and your mates.

The rest is decoration.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 October, 2020, 08:09:45 »
Phil,

You are of course actually shed-hunting and just need to find one with a suitable house  ;D ;D

Cheers,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
Bantam D7
C15 project
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 October, 2020, 12:51:43 »
I guess I'll end up with a bog-standard garage, single or double (double would be very nice.) Can't see it having a wooden floor - not many of them about. I'd like a window by the bench. Good point about stray darts, but if I position the board appropriately then should be okay. When I was 17, with my much-abused/neglected Starfire, I liked a game of arrows. Radio, yes, for Test Match Special. Plenty of shelves/racks. Even with a basic garage, getting it as I want it should be fun.

MGI

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 October, 2020, 18:57:53 »
My shed is 10x13 (feet), no windows (security risk), three big LED strip lights, a small compressor (Aldi) a pillar drill (Lidl) it is connected to the house alarm, it has loads of shelving and a good work bench, a total of 8 double sockets and...final luxury, it is tiled! The construction is galvanised steel (although very thin section) and I insulated the walls and (pitched) roof and then fixed plyboard over the insulation - it is warm(ish) in the winter and cool in the summer. I have even lined the work surfaces with the stuff kitchen work surfaces are made of. I then cut a square aperture in the work surface about 12 inches by 8/9 inches and then cut the remnants of the work surfaces into identical squares. I have attached my vice, pillar drill, grinder, chisel sharpener and linisher to these squares with flush fitting lower bolt heads. This frees up a lot of bench as I only fit the unit I currently need into the aperture and I can store all the other bits of kit under the bench and just swap them around to suit the application required. The shed originally came with a sort of double sliding door - very flimsy & definitely a security risk - I fitted a solid wooden door with a lock to BS. I keyed the lock to match the house keys. The door has a door contact & there is a dual tec movement sensor in there as well. I can get either my B31 or the B33 inside to work on, did I mention I also have a Sealey air over hydraulic bike ramp! Living the dream?

Pete Gill

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 October, 2020, 12:44:08 »
Iím building a workshop at the moment, nearly finished now. My advice is good insulation/heat to allow work in winter months. I canít count the number of times Iíve had to stop work on a project because the garage is too cold and my fingers are numb!
My T160 was the first bike in! But hereís my B31 yesterday as well. -if the photos attach (!)

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 October, 2020, 16:08:05 »
 :) :) :)

Lordy, lordy, thats tidier than my bedroom. Brill tho.

Mike 8) 8) 8)