Author Topic: New member  (Read 192 times)

Calum

• Star
    • View Profile
« on: 14 October, 2020, 10:58:56 »
Hi all

Following my recent wanted ad, I am now the proud owner of a 1953 B31 plunger. I hope to get my club application sent off this week. Complete newbie to bikes, but thankfully no stranger to old British metals - I run a small range of British classic cars (no modern vehicle owned!) and my day job as a machinist/fitter restoring steam locos.

Taken me far too long to take the plunge (excuse the pun) and get one, but here I am. I'll get some pics up of the bike shortly, some of you may have seen it before - it was owned by, I think, a member of the Cheshire branch, Bill Hignett. Plenty on it to keep me busy!
« Last Edit: 14 October, 2020, 11:02:21 by Calum »

ColinF

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: 14 October, 2020, 16:10:34 »
Hi Calum, i haven't been on this forum long but i've found it very helpful ( having mainly owned restored Japanese bikes). Whatever the question, someone will have the answer......or at least an opinion! So welcome.

Pete Gill

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 October, 2020, 19:21:01 »
Hi Calum
Iím new to this site too.
Almost a coincidence in that I recently acquired a 1949 rigid B31!
Iíve spent a few weeks working on and off renovating the wheel bearings, brakes,tyres.
I also rewired it and I am running 12v lights (LEDs)- added an electronic regulator.
The bike starts and runs nicely on magneto.
It is a bit of an oily mess underneath (especially the primary drive side)- something to look into.
I have a few old bikes 60s 70s 80s Etc but this is a bit of a time warp to ride, great fun.
If the bike keeps running okay I will tidy it up gradually rather than a complete rebuild. I like a bit of patina instead of old bikes being too bright and shiny.
Pete

Calum

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2020, 10:32:19 »
Hi Pete yes I agree. Some bikes are due a restoration but for those still showing original paintwork etc in good nick it's nice to see them preserved - they're only original once!

Unfortunately mine left the factory as a maroon bike but has been repainted and gained an earlier tank (silver over chrome with the small winged B badges). I like the earlier colour schemes so the tank is staying (it seems to be in original paint and has gained a nice mellowed look) and the rest will get a refresh in places (mudguards and headlight currently bright red... not for long!). The mechanics seems relatively unmolested, many date stamps on Lucas items all tally with the age of the bike for example.

Most of it will get a once over before I start using it, for peace of mind. I want to be able to jump on it and go wherever I want without worrying about any unknowns!

TTJOHN

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2020, 19:08:58 »
Calum.
Hello and welcome to the club, we do try to be very helpful on this site, this is known as the most friendly hospitable club by far, so you couldn't have chose better.

Kind regards TTJohn

griffo

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 October, 2020, 08:59:52 »
Sadly Bill Hignett passed away in a RTA some 3 years ago. He had a great collection of bikes and rode most of them . A well liked member of the BSA community... RIP Bill....   Griff
Safe riding saves pinch marks on the seat...

Calum

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 October, 2020, 09:38:31 »
Sadly Bill Hignett passed away in a RTA some 3 years ago. He had a great collection of bikes and rode most of them . A well liked member of the BSA community... RIP Bill....   Griff
That echoes what I was told about him, sounded like a nice guy.

griffo

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 October, 2020, 13:14:37 »
Got to know Bill quite well at the VMCC where he was a very active member with the Cheshire Cats section. He also introduced me to the BSAOC a few years ago. Never heard a bad word said about him... Sadly missed...   
Safe riding saves pinch marks on the seat...