Author Topic: BSA B33 advance and retard  (Read 661 times)

Barriball

• Star
    • View Profile
BSA B33 advance and retard
« on: 09 October, 2020, 17:08:51 »
Hi

Can someone help.

Its been a while since I had a BSA and from memory never had problems starting them and always used the advance and retard. I now have a B33 and cant remember which way to move the lever ( push or pull) to retard.

The cable goes in on the right side of the points if that helps.

Barry.

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: BSA B33 advance and retard
« Reply #1 on: 09 October, 2020, 18:52:21 »
That will be a slack wire advance. Pull the lever towards you for retarding the spark.

Ian C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2020, 09:22:22 »
That will be a slack wire advance. Pull the lever towards you for retarding the spark.

I always have my mags overhauled with slack advance and the cable is attached to LHS of points..If cable on RHS, it will be tight wire advance, so Lever pulled towards you would advance the spark..

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2020, 11:21:39 »
Dah. I contradict myself in my reply. Of course in its tight wire advance slack wire retard. Done away with as vibration could cause the lever to move to the retard position.

craigc11g

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 October, 2020, 12:14:12 »
on my british bikes its slack wire advance , its like this for if the cable lets go you can still ride it home , riding the bike with retarded ign with result in over heating

Barriball

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 October, 2020, 18:18:45 »
Hi all

Well much contradicting info.

Cable goes in RHS. Just want to be sure I have retarded it so my knee stays in place. When your getting others to start with it advanced many years ago was fun, but not now its me many years later.

More help please.

1/  It came to me with no battery. The rear bulb shows 12v. The dynamo 6v but the usual cable entry point is blanked off and enters at the bottom. I am thinking when going over to 12v things get changed inside but the case stays the same so showing 6V

The CVC unit has been replaced with a small black box. I have been looking for a battery but the 12v ones seem to be a little too long. Any help with this please and good make to get. There seems to be lots of cheat ones about, rubbish I guess.

2/ what is the situation with fuel. Is it unleaded with a shot of Redex or do I use leaded if it can be found.

3/ Any idea where i can get a good side stand, an original would be great, but probably none about.

Well I think that will do for now. Thanks in advance ( get it) for any help.

Barry.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 October, 2020, 20:41:51 »
The ignition is retarded when the control lever moves the cam in the direction of rotation of the points and adanced when the lever moves the cam in the oppostie direction to rotation of the points.