Author Topic: More About B33 Advance/Retard?  (Read 146 times)

leon bee

• Star
    • View Profile
More About B33 Advance/Retard?
« on: 12 October, 2020, 20:59:20 »
I decided maybe I shouldn't intrude on Bariball's thread. My 53 B33, the magneto is set up opposite those discussed there. Mine uses the tight cable to advance. So if you are looking right at the drive side of the bike the cable enters on the right side. My question would be, is there any other differences at all in the piece? My magneto is tired, and I've seen a couple for sale lately, but they have the tight wire to retard setup. Thanks!!

idie

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: More About B33 Advance/Retard?
« Reply #1 on: 12 October, 2020, 22:31:57 »
Just change the end with the cam in it.

leon bee

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 October, 2020, 00:35:39 »
Thanks, idie. That's what I thought. I also wouldn't mind changing the rig if I were to buy another mag.

oldtimer

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 October, 2020, 23:51:01 »
The Gold Star has a tight wire to retard the ignition. Advantage being if the wire broke whilst riding it would not affect the normal running, it would be a b*^*d to start though.

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 October, 2020, 08:00:12 »
I understand the logic of the modification but wonder if it's really of any significant benefit to warrant changing it?

After all, the tension in the cable is pretty insignificant so I'd have thought it the least likely to break of all of them.

The air slide has always been pull-to-raise so if the air slide cable broke the spring wold lower it and the rider would have to ride home on full choke.

Just my thoughts....

Cheers,
Bernie

'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
Bantam D7
C15 project
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

Calum

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 October, 2020, 10:25:42 »
Depending on where the break was, if it was to actually snap, you could surely pull the inner taught and tie it to retain the position in order to ride home (be it the advance cable or the choke). Obviously if it breaks at the engine end you don't have much choice.

Whilst I don't think it likely the cable would snap my thought as to why you'd prefer slack wire advance is a positive return to the same advanced ignition setting every time, and one that isn't affected by wire stretch or bad adjustment.