Author Topic: Help Needed - Bike Found in Garage  (Read 798 times)

Louisa

• Star
    • View Profile
Help Needed - Bike Found in Garage
« on: 11 October, 2020, 19:43:28 »
Hello, my name is Louisa and I am hoping to tap into your expertise.

My Nan and Grandad owned a motorcycle shop in Ilford, Essex throughout the 1960’s and 70’s. When the shop closed, my Grandad moved the remaining stock to a lock up garage, where it has remained ever since. We have recently had a bit of a clear out and among other items we have found a BSA Bantam. This is where I hope you guys come in, I know next to nothing about bikes and I am hoping you may be able to tell me a bit about the bike from the photos I am posting, ie: age, model, potential value if I was to consider selling etc..

I am yet to find any paperwork for the bike - does anyone have any advice on how you go about obtaining duplicate paperwork for the bike.

I thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to give me.

BEEZABRYAN

• Silver Star
    • View Profile

TTJOHN

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed - Bike Found in Garage
« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2020, 21:27:47 »
Hello Louisa.

Your bike is a 1968 BSA Bantam 175cc & the last log book issued was 15th August 1984, Value at the moment, with this virus thing putting the mockers on bike sales, I would Guesstimate aprox £1000-£1200. Other people may know better than me.

Hope this helps

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 October, 2020, 08:06:20 »
Bantams are going up in value especially nice original ones like that.

craigc11g

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 October, 2020, 08:50:21 »
looks very tidy and unmolested but pics are poor , needs a headlight unit , rim maybe some other parts , if it is as standard as it looks £2500 maybe more . set the reserve for £1800 .

bikerbob

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 October, 2020, 10:34:16 »
I would agree with what TTJOHN says, to expect to get £2500 it would have to be in excellent condition fully roadworthy and have a valid V5c registration document at the least.

craigc11g

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 October, 2020, 11:04:15 »
just looks correct to me even the seat cover , restored examples are easy to find but never as they left the factory , these machines when found fetch very good money , let us know how it goes and if this is a unmolested example may sure you say in the ad . just looks correct to me

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 October, 2020, 11:08:43 »
I agree with John too. I can't see a Bantam D14/4 fetching £2500 in the current climate. Remember, the asking prices we see in adverts don't relate to the actual prices achieved.

Louisa, if you are considering selling then as it is listed on DVLA database, I would suggest you apply to them for a V5C against the registration number.
Once obtained, if you would like to advertise it in our club magazine 'The Star' email me, editor@bsaownersclub.co.uk

Chris

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 October, 2020, 17:22:23 »
Hi Lou, where was the shop, I used to work in Ilford. I wish you luck with your project. Regards Colin

JAMES_FANNING

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 October, 2020, 14:49:30 »
Looks almost identical to my first bike back in 1970 which was a ‘67 blue Bantam D10 with 4 speed box. Early D10 models were 3 speed but changed to 4 speed later just before the D14/4 model was introduced in ‘68. Really reliable little bike that took me all over UK before passing my test and going for larger capacity BSA and Norton twins. Still recall filling up at petrol stations using the fuel tank cap with built in measure for the 2 stroke oil giving a 25 : 1 mix !