Author Topic: Value of an M21  (Read 260 times)

13Brads

• Star
    • View Profile
Value of an M21
« on: 08 October, 2020, 15:02:18 »
Hello.
I am reluctantly considering selling my much travelled 1952 M21 but have no idea what a realistic asking price would be.
This is the bike that started life with the AA, was purchased by my friend in around 1960 as his daily transport. In 1964, with wife on the pillion and well loaded up they left London bound for Australia and returned home by sea in 1967. Since then it spent time in a museum (long story attached to that), and in various sheds etc until 2015 when the owner died and it came into my possession. I have done the minimum to get her (Betsy) back into operation, in an attempt to keep it as it was at the time of the trip to Aus.
I have attached a couple of pics. First in Berlin well laden, second a newspaper report of when they were in N.Zealand.

13Brads

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: Value of an M21
« Reply #1 on: 08 October, 2020, 15:04:01 »
Missed this pic of Berlin for some reason

AdrianS

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 October, 2020, 16:01:31 »
For someone it may have historical value.
For others, considering it started life with the AA , and what itís done, itís a well worn bike. If the buyer wants to use it as regular transport ( or for outings ) it may need a lot of money spending on it.
Canít give you a price - it is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it!

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 October, 2020, 17:21:06 »
Hi 13Brads,

It might be worth posting some images of the bike as it is now.  Then people on this forum who have M21s may be able to give an idea of potential value.  There seems to be a great variance depending on condition.

Dave.

GLENN

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 October, 2020, 18:49:49 »
There's a lovely history with this bike that has been discussed here: https://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/bsaoc_forum/index.php?topic=8187.msg40139#msg40139

I'm not up on the current M21 prices, but the history would surely make it more saleable, even if not more valuable.  All the best, Glenn

13Brads

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 October, 2020, 19:22:36 »
Thanks Glenn.
I had forgotten about that earlier post in your link.
Its been a difficult decision to sell the bike because of course I am emotionally involved with it.
I could probably put it on an auction site, but if it is to go, I would rather an enthusiast had it than someone who just saw it as a money making buy. As you are aware I am only the third owner of the 68 year old machine and have quite a large history file.
Regards.
Grahame

13Brads

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 October, 2020, 11:06:01 »
I've put up some up to date pics in the owners photos section,

« Reply #7 on: 28 October, 2020, 16:00:08 »
Hi fellow M21 owner,
I bought mine 6 months ago for £4250. 1958 with 36800 on the clock. Needed a bit of work although running well enough. I have seen them up to 13500 Euros, and quite a number around the £6 to £7 thousand mark. I doubt if you could get one for much less than what I paid but I have needed to spend around a thousand in bits and bobs. I would think that anyone wanting an M21 is looking for rugged reliability with not much in the way of frills and certainly not high speed. I try and avoid motorways because I get in everyone's way. I suggest your best bet is to find someone, probably not unlike me in fact, who has always wanted an M21, probably someone who likes touring and is therefore appreciative of reliability. For me price was more or less unimportant.
john

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 October, 2020, 19:21:12 »
If you buy them like this they're cheaper....  :)

and if you want to hold up traffic more effectively a sidecar helps after the rebuild!!

Cheers,
Bernie

'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
Bantam D7
C15 project
B40 Super Star
A50CC project