BSA Owners' Club Forum

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: Brown975 on 20 April, 2017, 22:49:27

Title: Carb to airbox
Post by: Brown975 on 20 April, 2017, 22:49:27
Hi all,

My 1960 A10 runs the amal monobloc 389 carb and its original standard airbox. The intake area of the carb however, has fine threads on show as if something should be threaded onto it to maybe form a connection between that and the airbox.

It used to just have a piece of old rubber pipe pushed over the two to make a join (between carb and airbox) but it looked old and nasty and fell off.
The pipe just pushed over the threads that are on show. It can't be right like that surely?

I notice that from AMAL, you can buy an AMAL "air intake" tube that looks like it threads onto the carb. Does some sort of rubber coupling go onto that and then connect to the airbox to form a nice seal? If there is a rubber like this available, where do i get one from?

Any help on this topic would be great. Just trying to make the bike look as original and as tidy as possible.

Thanks in advance. Adam

Title: Re: Carb to airbox
Post by: JulianS on 21 April, 2017, 09:18:17
The original A10 carbs (389/45 for 1960 A10) which took the rubber connector did not have a threaded part as described, the end was formed to take the rubber connector, part  42 4600. You can use the adaptor but it might not grip an original type connecter very firmly.

They were quite hard to refit so many were left out on reassembly.
Title: Re: Carb to airbox
Post by: EDDIE SIMPSON on 21 April, 2017, 17:32:01
the engine also runs a lot better without that standard air filter altogether. i gave up with the over rich mixture, fitted a guaze bellmouth and hey -ho, away we go.
Title: Re: Carb to airbox
Post by: Brown975 on 24 April, 2017, 20:28:02
Thanks for your responses to my query.

Should i insist on sticking with the stock airbox, where would i be able to acquire one of those rubber connections from?

In contrast, if i wanted to go with the trumpet with gauze type filtered intake (doing away withairbox), where would be a suitable place to get one of those from?

Regards, Adam.
Title: Re: Carb to airbox
Post by: JulianS on 24 April, 2017, 20:57:55
You could try these for the rubber.

Many dealers will do a trumpet or a pill box type air cleaner. I use a S and B pill box type from Hitchcocks Motorcycles on my A10.