BSA Owners' Club Forum

General => The Star and Garter => Topic started by: Bess on 09 December, 2017, 13:36:34

Title: A65 - first registration help...
Post by: Bess on 09 December, 2017, 13:36:34
Hi All,
         Has anyone had experience of the following and found a solution?

I have completed a A65 with a 1968 engine and 1966 frame. I have a dating certificate and vehicle report informing me they were both exported to the USA on 7.11.1968 and 10.6.1966 respectively. I bought engine cases only and a bare frame from Ebay about 8 years ago at different times from sellers in the UK, collecting and buying the necessary parts to complete a full bike.

I have contacted HM revenue and customs (HMRC) for the documentation required to apply for a registration with the DVLA. HMRC will not issue the document until I forward:

1. C88/E2 import entry document
2. bill of sale, purchase invoice or a valuation from a local garage
3. Evidence if VAT has been paid.

Item 1 will be impossible to obtain, a valuation of the frame and engine casings should be okay and VAT paid will never be discovered.

Any advice or help would be welcomed.

Best wishes...
Title: Re: A65 - first registration help...
Post by: A10 JWO on 09 December, 2017, 14:34:42
Personally, I would buy another frame with a V5 and start again. You should be able to sell the old one, someone will be able to use it.
Title: Re: A65 - first registration help...
Post by: Mike Farmer on 09 December, 2017, 15:47:36

Providing that you haven't been too specific about any details at this stage you MAY get away with telling them that its a barn find and that any such detail is long gone. You may also have to make some sort of legal declaration. About the vat I have no idea.

Mike 8) 8)
Title: Re: A65 - first registration help...
Post by: Mike Farmer on 13 December, 2017, 11:07:57
Hi. :) :)

I have had a chat with "someone I know". because I am going to be in the same position some time later next year.

No idea what the situation is regarding the form they require. As you say getting a valuation from a garage should not be too difficult and as you cant provide any evidence of VAT you will probably(possibly) have to pay it on the valuation.
We reckon that the worst thing is you may need to go down the SVA route. That is actually not as difficult as people make it out to be.(Done it a couple of times) The actual testing is no worse than an MOT. I must confess to not having a clue what that may require in paper terms.

Would seriously appreciate that you keep us in the loop on this one.

Mike :( 8) 8)