Age Related Notes

How to obtain an age related registration mark.

For refurbished machines:

The machine has to be refurbished and ready to use before you can obtain an age related registration.

Please check that the numbers on any NOVA or non UK registration document are the same as the numbers on your bike.

After submitting your documents to DVLA do not dismantle your bike until you receive your V5C, DVLA may require the bike to be inspected before it is issued.

Documents to send to the DVLA

Please note the DVLA will require the originals of the following certificates not photocopies

Original of the BSAOC Vehicle Report from the Club.

Based on the photographic evidence supplied or from a physical inspection.

A valid MoT Certificate if appropriate.

V55/5 application form using the Clubs notes.

A photocopy of your photocard driving licence with your application form to prove your identity. If you cannot do this, you must send in photocopies of one document that proves your name and another document that proves your address.

Documents you can use to confirm your name include: Current UK paper driving licence, UK/EU Passport, marriage certificate, decree nisi or absolute, birth certificate

Documents you can use to confirm your address include: recent utility bill (within the last 3 months) – eg gas, electricity, water, landline phone bill, recent bank or building society statement (within the last 3 months), medical card, council tax bill for current year.

First registration fee currently £55

HMRC NOVA acknowledgement letter, if the vehicle has been imported then it is subject to NOVA.

The importer of your bike should be able to supply you with its NOVA documentation. If not you will need to fill in a paper NOVA1 form. You can get a copy of this form by phoning HMRC’s VAT helpline on 0300 200 3700 (open Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 6.00 pm - closed weekends and bank holidays).

Please note: HMRC will accept a partially completed NOVA1 notification form by the current owner of the vehicle. Accompanied with the NOVA1 should be a letter of explanation and any information regarding the history of the vehicle. These may be invoices showing purchase in the UK, invoices for parts etc., which will provide an audit of the vehicles history. HMRC accept that documentary evidence will be different for different projects, i.e. some vehicles will be barn finds, others restoration projects, however the aim is not to cause distress but to ensure that HMRC are aware of the vehicle and that you are able to achieve a UK vehicle registration with the DVLA so the vehicle can be legally used on UK Roads. The paper NOVA1 form and audit evidence should be sent to the following address:

Personal Transport Unit
Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs

The Club would also recommend that photographs of the complete machine, frame and engine numbers are also included.

If the DVLA are satisfied with the application they will issue an appropriate age related registration number. N.B. - Non-suffix numbers are issued on a non-transferable basis. The registration document should follow within six weeks.

Contact details for the DVLA. The address is DVLA, Swansea SA99 1BE, telephone 0300 790 6802
or by email at

For new machines constructed out of parts from several machines.

All parts have to be over 25 years old of a similar specification and the whole machine has to be, in our opinion, a true representation of the marque. See INF 26 ‘Guidelines for the registration of rebuilt or radically altered vehicles and kit cars.’ Downloadable from the DVLA website. This lays down the criteria for reconstructed classics where all (major) components have to be over 25 years old. For motorcycles these include forks, wheels and brakes, frame, engine and gearbox.

In addition of the above you will need to arrange a physical inspection by the Club and this will list the age of the components used. The date of registration will be based on the age of the newest component.

In addition to the Clubs’ report a V627/1 Built up vehicle report will be required.

How to Fill in the Form V55/5

Download V55 Form here

A copy of the V55/5 form ‘Application for first vehicle tax and registration of a used motor vehicle’ for you to complete is included with your vehicle report. Additional copies can be printed from DVLA website or ordered from the DVLA Swansea, by telephone DVLA helpline 0300 790 6802 or online at the government website

Use black ink and print clearly.

Follow the directions below:-

Answer the questions as follows:

  1. Top box on right. Insert country vehicle purchased from
  2. Question 1 The registration only if you know it. The DVLA will fill this in for age related applications

  3. Question 2 Taxation class ‘historic’

  4. Question 3 leave blank

  5. Question 4 leave blank

  6. Question 5 manufacturer ‘BSA’

  7. Question 6 make ‘BSA mainly although it could be Ariel in case of Ariel 3’

  8. Question 7 Model ‘A10 Golden Flash, B31, C11G, D1 Bantam etc’

  9. Question 8 Type of body ‘Motorcycle’

  10. Question 9 Wheelplan ‘2 wheel’

  11. Question 10 Colour ‘main tank colour e.g gold, green, maroon etc’

  12. Questions 11-23 ‘leave blank’

  13. Question 24 date of original registration in any country ‘Only if you have an old log book or a foreign title

  14. Questions 25 Year of manufacture ‘take from vehicle report’..

  15. Questions 26 Date of registration in the UK ‘only if you know it’.

  16. Questions 27-30 leave blank.

  17. Question 31 Type of fuel ‘petrol’

  18. Question 32 VIN/chassis/frame number in full – ‘The full frame number including prefixes and suffixes taken from the bike and not off the log book’

  19. Question 33 Engine number ‘The full number including prefixes and suffixes taken off the engine not off the log book’

  20. Question 34 Cylinder capacity ‘the cylinder capacity’

  21. Questions 35-67 leave blank

  22. Question 68 Partial post code of purchaser ‘the first 3 or 4 letters and digits of your postcode’.


  24. Question 69 leave blank’

  25. Question 70 complete fully except DVLA fleet number

  26. Question 71 date of birth – you must give this if a person has been named as the keeper. DVLA will hold this information but it will not appear on the V5C.

  27. Questions 72 ‘Historic vehicle’.

  28. Question 73 mileage in miles not kilometres

  29. Questions 74-76 ‘leave blank’

  30. Sign and date bottom of form.

Updated 19th December 2023