How to obtain an age related registration mark

In order to do this you need to be aware of:
Document - INF 26 ‘Guidelines for the Registration of Rebuilt or Radically Altered Vehicles and Kit cars. (please search DVLA Website) This lays down the criteria for reconstructed classics where all (major) components have to be over 25 years old. These include forks, wheels and brakes, frame, engine and gearbox.

I have added the word major, as cosmetic items such as side panels, mudguards, seat and petrol tank etc. I do not think are covered by this.
Also where components such as wheel rims, spokes, brake linings and tyres are replaced due to the original becoming un-roadworthy I do not feel they should be counted either.
Provided your machine meets the criteria there is no reason why an age related registration mark will not be issued. Please note it is you responsibility to ensure that the machine if pre 1960 is in a roadworthy condition and meets the requirements of the Road Vehicles Regulations. The Club recommends that the vehicle is regularly tested by an independent person.

Documents to send to the DVLA

The machine has to be refurbished and ready to use before you can obtain an age related registration
A ‘Dating Certificate’ is required from the Club. On the rear will be the Clubs’ built up vehicle report based on the photographic evidence supplied or from a physical inspection.
MoT Certificate, for post 1960 machines using the frame number as reference, or a form V112 Declaration of exemption from MoT if pre 1960.
Form V627/1 Built up vehicle report if major components have been replaced. Note: all parts used have to be over 25 years old.
V55/5 application form using the Clubs notes. You will need to obtain this form from the DVLA helpline 0300 700 6802. Also note that the V55/5 is a carbonless copy so ensure that the front page is transferred to the back page. To download the instructions for filling in the V55/5 click here agerelatedplatenotes
You will need to include photocopy confirmation of your name and address using both parts of the photo card driving licence or 2 forms of identity.

Documents you can use to confirm your name include:

current paper driving licence, Passport, marriage certificate, decree nisi or absolute, birth certificate
Documents you can use to confirm your address include:
recent utility bill (within the last 3 months) – e.g. gas, electricity, water, landline phone bill, recent bank or building society statement (within the last 3 months), medical card, council tax bill for current year

First registration fee is currently £55
HMRC NOVA acknowledgement letter if the vehicle has been imported then it is subject to NOVA.
You will need to fill in a paper NOVA1 form. You can get a copy of this form by phoning HMRC’s VAT helpline on
0300 200 3700 (open Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 6.00 pm - closed weekends and bank holidays).
Please note: HMRC will accept a partially completed NOVA1 notification form by the current owner of the vehicle. Accompanied with the NOVA1 should be a letter of explanation and any information regarding the history of the vehicle. These may be invoices showing purchase in the UK, invoices for parts etc which will provide an audit of the vehicles history. HMRC accept that documentary evidence will be different for different projects, i.e. some vehicles will be barn finds, others restoration projects, however the aim is not to cause distress but to ensure that HMRC are aware of the vehicle and that you are able to achieve a UK vehicle registration with the DVLA so the vehicle can be legally used on UK Roads.
The paper NOVA1 form and audit evidence should be sent to the following address:
HM Revenue and Customs
Personal Transport Unit
Building 22
Priory Court
St Johns Road
CT17 9SH

The Club would also recommend that photographs of the complete machine, frame and engine numbers are also included.
If the DVLA are satisfied with the application they will issue an appropriate age related registration number. N.B. - Non-suffix numbers are issued on a non-transferable basis. The registration document should follow within six weeks.
Contact details for the DVLA:
The address is DVLA, Swansea SA99 1BE, telephone 0300 700 6802 or by going onto
Updated 08/17