Author Topic: Indian tanks  (Read 3639 times)

Robspitfire

• Star
    • View Profile
Indian tanks
« on: 04 June, 2017, 14:20:13 »
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but I would like to express my findings on "Indian alloy tanks". They don't fit and they leak. The tube in the centre had so much weld cleaned off, it had a hairline crack, so had to be rewelded. Forget using any of the BSA standard mountings they are miles to big. It took two days to level the tank on the frame and is higher than standard because the tail ends of the tank are a different length. The underneath mountings needed to be built up by approx 1 inch and the bracket had to have the holes e longated for the bolts to fit. I actually changed the bolts to studs. One of the mountings holes underneath had been drilled to deep and was leaking fuel there to. Having said that the tank is now looking reasonable but is coming off as soon as my fiberglass one is repaired. By the way it's a Spitfire. Do these problems sound familiar? Anyone else had the same problems?

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Indian tanks
« Reply #1 on: 04 June, 2017, 23:15:30 »
 :) :)
Hi I've got one on my A50 and there are no apparent problems.I shall of course report here if that changes. Argueably of course they are the only quick source of new tanks.

Mike

SLIPPERY SAM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2017, 08:12:18 »
Rob I think it's probably a case of picking the worst of the evils!
I have no real experience of Indian alloy tanks, but I paid more to have my old one repaired (few dents and a polish) - than an Indian one costs.  In good condition the old ones go for completely silly money (lyta type spitfire being £700 to £1400 !!!).
With that in mind - a few days worth of fettling maybe isn't such a bad deal!
Cheers Raymond.

awcarr

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 June, 2017, 20:07:04 »
It's also worth remembering that the Indian subcontinent is a very large ara, and suggesting that all items manufactured there are low in quality is a very big brush stroke!

Robspitfire

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2017, 20:53:55 »
Agreed, it is a large area and it has some very skilled and clever people working there. However, you can't just take something back once bought if it's got a defect. You have to fix it as I did. But it will never be right. It looks very very good now, but it's not right and that's annoying. Still my original fiberglass one is ready now and happily that fits perfectly

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 June, 2017, 20:59:21 »
I'm very pleased with the Indian tank I bought for my A10. I had to buy taps and badges separately but £250 got me a fully chromed and painted tank complete with filler cap delivered to my door. Fitted excactly as it should and no leaks.
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

Robspitfire

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 June, 2017, 08:05:10 »
Ok folks, better close this one down. Perhaps I was unlucky with mine. Is it possible to post photos on this forum?

TTJOHN

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 June, 2017, 10:50:16 »
I bought a tank from India, a chap called Rummy, I believe, it was very good the quality was as good as could be, fitted perfect and I managed to knock him down on the price from £300 to £220 including postage. A great deal and I'm well pleased, this was a A7 tank btw. ;) ;)

TTJohn

Rob Atkinson

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 July, 2017, 19:17:23 »
I bought an A10 tank a couple of years ago, round badge type. It came with a fuel cap but no badges or taps. Overall I was happy with it. Looked good fitted well but had rust inside which I treated with Tapox, probably worth doing even without the rust given the problems caused by ethanol in modern fuels. I bought it on e-bay from seller AAKASSHUKLA, based in New Delhi which I assume must have a humid climate!, (still advertises), paid £200 delivered to my door. Add the cost of Tapox and a little work I thought it still worth it.

ROYC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 July, 2017, 20:38:51 »
I'm very pleased with the Indian tank I bought for my A10. I had to buy taps and badges separately but £250 got me a fully chromed and painted tank complete with filler cap delivered to my door. Fitted excactly as it should and no leaks.

Same here, No problems.
« Last Edit: 14 July, 2017, 20:41:29 by ROYC »
My bike is a 1958 A7SS

SLIPPERY SAM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 July, 2017, 22:32:21 »
Rob, you wanted to see my alloy tank - here you go.  Cheers Raymond

MITCHELL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 July, 2017, 21:23:52 »
Tank looks great but not to sure about the reflection,😊

Robspitfire

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 July, 2017, 20:02:00 »
Your tank looks very nice as they do when right. I'm happy with how mine looks for this summer, but on a Spitfire......they've got to be red. So far, and I hate to admit this, my glass tank has cost me over £300 to get repaired and lined and it still not painted. Happily the paint work won't cost me anything, but next spring my bike comes out of winter hibernation RED.