Author Topic: BSA A10 twin leading shoe brake  (Read 13014 times)

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
BSA A10 twin leading shoe brake
« on: 31 January, 2017, 20:52:25 »
If you are looking for a TLS brake for your A10 with full width iron hub have a look at this E bay item;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112284485623?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It is an Eddie Dow conversion not a factory job - the shoe pivots are fixed not sliding as on the factory job - and appears to have the boss of sufficient height to engage with the A10 fork lug. The levers and tie rod are not Dow items.

You may have seen the thread on the old forum on the subject.

Photo is that of an Eddie Dow brake, BSA not Triumph type, to compare with the E bay item.
« Last Edit: 31 January, 2017, 20:58:25 by JulianS »

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: BSA A10 twin leading shoe brake
« Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2017, 19:33:46 »
Interesting, but I hope it goes for loads of dosh so I don't feel  so bad about what I've paid so far just for the parts for my conversion
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

SLIPPERY SAM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2017, 12:05:36 »
Julian, which hub does this one match to?
I bought a BSA Triumph TLS that you mentioned - but my standard A10 8" hub is too narrow.  So I ended up going back to standard single leading and not modifying the TLS locating lug etc.
My standard A10 hub needs the narrower shoes found on the SLS.  The TLS shoes are a good 1/2 inch too wide.
I suspect I'd need to change to an A65 hub - so I decided to sell my TLS (cost me twice as much as the Eddie Dow one you found on ebay!!!!).  Ironically I had one offer early doors which I declined but so far have struggled to sell it - I guess I need to take a reality pill and accept I paid too much for it - if I can't sell it for less that I originally paid (£265!!!).
Raymond.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 February, 2017, 13:35:09 »
I think for the standard A10 hub.

The BSA/Triumph TLS shoes are 1 5/8 wide and the A10 hub takes 1 1/8.

Dow offered around 9 different TLS conversions all made by a Mr Robinson from Erdington, Birmingham.

The full width 8 inch conversions came in a BSA version, which should plug straight into the A10 hub and anchor on the A10 fork lug and 2 Triumph versions which were for the pre 1966 narrow hub and the 1966/67 wide hub which took 1 5/8 wide shoes. The different width shoes are interchangable because I have done it.

Unfortunately, with the E bay item  you cannot see the width of the shoes.

The photos show the components of the brake - less linings - you will se the shoes are fairky crude castings, the original levers and tie bar were from light alloy and there was no return spring on the front cam lever as fitted to the factory item.

The third photo shows the Dow Triumph plate left and BSA plate right.

The fourth photo is from the 1969 Eddie Dow price list.

SLIPPERY SAM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 February, 2017, 17:20:53 »
Thanks Julian, explains a lot.
Think I made the right decisions in the end but got there the hard way (and expensive way).

cheers Raymond.

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 February, 2017, 21:35:23 »
Yesterday, after temporarily replacing the later fork legs and the TLS hub wheel and plate I was able finally to measure, re-measure and triple check the amount I'd need the rim offset adjusting by. Turned out to be 5mm which would bring the rim in line with the open face of the brake drum. I made careful notes and armed with these I drove the wheel over to Central Wheel Components.

As I went in they asked what I wanted and I firstexplained that I was modifying my A10 to TLS with this wheel.

"So you'll need the wheel building with the rim in line with the  open face of the drum then" he replied !! :)

That inspired confidence in them and my measurements, taken while on high dose steriods  :-[

TTJOHN

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 February, 2017, 08:57:31 »
I don't know why everyone raves about twin leading shoe brakes, I have found using both this also the single sided brake 8" drum as on the early GF and GS the most efficient ie, better that a TLS, I think a lot of problems with braking are to do with the distortion of the drum when a new rim is fitted, if its not laced properly.
My 2p for what its worth.
TTJohn

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
« Reply #7 on: 03 February, 2017, 13:32:39 »
The 8" SLS on my Star Twin is excellent, as is the 8" SLS brake on my Dominator. However, the 8" SLS full width hub brake on the A10 is almost as useless as the 7" SLS full width hub brake on my B31. The original anti-lock system... So the A10 now sports a TLS brake and actually stops.   

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 February, 2017, 14:07:58 »
I agree with TTJOHN and STAR TWIN re the 8 inch half width hub. It is much underrated. My experience with an A7 so equipped was that it was a powerful and reliable stopper. The A10 8 inch full width hub was very poor in comparison and the 7 inch full width hub on my 1968 Starfire was even worse.

Both the latter were converted to TLS for safety of all and peace of mind.
« Last Edit: 03 February, 2017, 14:09:35 by JulianS »

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 February, 2017, 18:06:03 »
I'm too deep into replacing my 8"  single sided with the TLS now so I am developing seletive deafness/wordblindess  to posts on this thread;)

I must say though that i have to agree the single sided isn't a bad brake. But, hey, this hobby is about trying stuff put and experiementing.

At least I can console myself and bank account knowing that if its not any better then I can use it on the Super Rocket.

ANDY HIGHAM

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 February, 2017, 21:44:40 »
Sorry TTJohn, size for size a twin leading shoe brake will always be more powerful than a single leading shoe. If you have found the reverse then the twin leading shoe brake was either not set up properly or it was damaged.
« Last Edit: 03 February, 2017, 22:55:28 by forum_admin »

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
« Reply #11 on: 04 February, 2017, 17:24:07 »
It is all too easy to set up a TLS brake badly. Of course, all the usual brake rules apply. Choice of linings being paramount. Most aftermarket linings are far too hard. Something a bit softer like AM2 or MZ41 (if you can get them) are far better for normal use.
The thing to watch with TLS brakes is stopping on a steep slope. You can find yourself setting off backwards despite hauling on the brake as hard as you can.