Author Topic: MOT  (Read 653 times)

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
MOT
« on: 25 May, 2017, 22:06:05 »
 :)

Hi. Just a quick one for you guys. I know that an MOT is not required for pre 1962 vehicles. However the initial registration forms call for one. Does that mean that an MOT is needed for initial reg purposes. Cant find the answer on DVLA site.

Mike 8)

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
Re: MOT
« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2017, 06:48:19 »
It's pre 1960, not 1962. There is an MoT exemption form available on the DVLA website which can accompany your initial registration.

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 May, 2017, 10:13:33 »
 8) 8)

Thanks for that. The "1962" was a stupidity. I seem to remember its an age thing.

Mike :) :)

DEAN SOUTHALL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2017, 15:07:28 »
You can imagine how irriatating it is that my Siper Rocket is March 1960..GRRRRR
On the up side, as my MOT examiner commented when noting the mileage since the last MOT, it does mean I ride it at least once a year :-[

bikerbob

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2017, 15:29:50 »
I do believe that if you are applying for a new or retension of registration that you need an MOT this is to prove that the bike is roadworthy. I had to have one for my A65 when reclaiming the original registration but this was about 6 years ago and things may have changed since then.

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2017, 19:02:33 »
I do believe you no longer need the MoT for a pre 1960 machine. A few years ago I had to MoT my 1913 Douglas. The tester was bemused.

DEAN SOUTHALL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 May, 2017, 07:41:25 »
It does not help that the road tax reminder states 'This machine requires an MOT' even of it doesn't!

griffo

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 May, 2017, 08:01:12 »
   Some insurance companies insist you have an M-o-T on an old bike. Though I have no doubt many steer clear of them. However for a speedier re-registration, or original reg. it is easier to get an M-o-T. Even if it is only a 'daylight running only' one. Just means you have time to get lights working as they should. No plod can't do you for riding after dark if you have proper legal lighting fitted and working. Once got pulled over riding a trials bike at night using a push bike rear and front lights and a reflector on the back mudguard. Got a rollicking but as the lamps gave the minimum illumination permitted I was allowed to continue home. .... 8)  Griff
Safe riding saves pinch marks on the seat...

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 May, 2017, 10:52:51 »
Hi

We had a long discussion on this page a while back covering this point about insurance companies. I contacted several and none of them would commit themselves to whether or not they require MOT. However it is quite a ridiculous gap in what is legal and what isn't.

I think the whole thing started because one of you guys was refused roadside assistance because of no listed MOT. It was probably a bit deeper than that and I believe it was sorted satisfactorily?????????

Maybe someone else remembers.

Mike