Author Topic: Paint codes for '69 Starfire  (Read 491 times)

RED ALEXI

Paint codes for '69 Starfire
« on: 11 May, 2017, 19:35:06 »
I've tried searching for the modern paint codes for my Starfire. The RS site lists Flamboyant Aircraft Blue as a two stage paint consisting of a silver base with blue lacquer top coat. It doesn't list the RAL/BS code numbers though. I can get the paint made up locally if I can get the exact codes. Tried searching the web, but can't find them. Anyone here got them ?

RED ALEXI

Re: Paint codes for '69 Starfire
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2017, 08:25:35 »
OK, according to one search 'Aircraft Blue' is UK paint code BS381 108.  Google images throws up a variety of shades for this. This is a straight or flat colour, so it's difficult to envision what it would look like in metallic/candy finish. Is this correct ?

Anyone care to make a comment before I spray my entire bike only to be told, "That's not right mate."

RED ALEXI

« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2017, 19:17:32 »
Seeing no one here can comment, I'll do it. I searched and phoned Brian 'Polly' Palmer who according to the old forum is a BSA paint expert. He is also a wonderfully interesting man who has been in the thick of it as far as the whole British motorcycle scene goes.
 I now have a lead to find the lost formula of late BSA paint codes, which poses a dilemma. Should I publish my findings so that anyone in need can find them , OR become ridiculously esoteric about it and say enigmatic ( but ultimately useless hints ) things such as,  "First you must prove yourself worthy young Jedi." I can then snort derisively at bike shows and say "I can really see what you've tried to achieve there. Sad it isn't quite correct."

R PAWSON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2017, 19:48:15 »
You must use the force wisely, young paint master!

RED ALEXI

« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2017, 10:05:55 »
Brian 'Polly' Palmer has given me the name and contact number for the guy who used to do all his spraying on restorations. Dennis of Dennis's Motorcycle Resprays based in Cirencester is able to reproduce the original BSA colours. According to Brian, he has extensive experience and skill in applying paint, lining and stencil work. Dennis works Monday to Friday, 9am to 5 pm, Saturday mornings from around 9.30 until 11.30 am for drop off. He is based at : Unit 11, Village Farm, Preston, Cirencester, GL7 5PR, tel: 01285 658645. He gave me a really good quote, including striping or transfers if required.
What with the cost of buying the correct paint, and the spraying of certain types of paint is quite toxic (let alone the chance of getting a good finish with cans) I think I'll go with Dennis.

Oh, He also does quite a lot of Flamboyant Red too.

RED ALEXI

« Reply #5 on: 18 May, 2017, 13:05:44 »
Found this on a US site. Could be useful. They recommend Peugeot Miami blue EMY53 sprayed over Ford Moondust silver to reproduce BSAFlamboyant aircraft blue .

RED ALEXI

« Reply #6 on: 24 May, 2017, 13:10:18 »
Another formulation for Flamboyant Aircraft Blue is as described below:

"I've been a fan of the Rupert Ratio book on BSA unit singles ever since I bought his book on the engines. There's now a companion tome on "everything but the engine" which contains some interesting data on paint codes (which would apply to later Bantams from the C15 period on).
So to continue on from the recent discussion about Devon Red, RR lists a few colours that were used in the BSA range and they are listed below with Ral/BS/modern equivalents:
/34 Devon Red .............BS 540
/88 Nutley Blue ............Skoda Medium Blue 4456
/244 Bushfire Orange ...RAL 2010 Signal Orange*
/27 Royal Red/Post Office red...... Rover CMC
/167 Flamboyant Blue ...Honda 7006M (a coloured lacquer over silver)
/170 Flamboyant Red ....Suzuki 5014M (ditto)
*he asserts that the Bushman orange was actually a 50/50 mix of Post office red and AA yellow.
The book also contains a very useful few pages on fasteners - Whit/BSF/BsCycle/UNF/UNC - their look and identification.
Well worth the price even if you don't have a C15/B25/B44/B50/TR25W though these were core BSA machines through the later part of Bantam production and so much of the information transfers across."

Thanks to HOWD1 at the bantam owners club site