Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 532 times)

Waterman

• Star
    • View Profile
« on: 21 May, 2017, 19:14:40 »
Hi folks, apologies if I've posted here in the wrong section; just bought a A10 1953, on getting her home and having a closer look, the front forks do not seem to be recoiling. I must assume due to the time the bike has been off the road the seals my have gone or it just needs the oil topping up. I will be midering you all with a lot of questions as I've never had a twin before but lots of singles...bikes!!!

Can anyone point me in the right direction of an on-line workshop manual or service sheets for my bike...

Thanks again, Andy (keeping it shiny side up at all times)

DEAN SOUTHALL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2017, 19:56:52 »
Welcome Andy
You've chosen a great practical bike there. You can get manuals and service sheets from the club website.
At the risk of a slapped wrist, I'd recommend the BSA A10/7 forum. It is a mine of information with a great bunch of very knowledgable and helpful members http://www.a7a10.net/forum/
The sticking forks could be any number of things but they are pretty simple to pull apart for inspection: always worth doing to a new bike.

Waterman

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2017, 20:58:44 »
Thank you Dean for the prompt reply. I will check out the link you have provided...looks like some reading and education is in order.

Ta Andy

EDDIE SIMPSON

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2017, 22:27:23 »
hi andy.
your first purchase needs to be the fork puller tool. an adjuster screws into the top stantion thread and you can tap out the fork and pull it up with this tool. when off the bike if the fork isnt moving but sticking  your next purchase needs to be the chrome oil seal holder removal tool. a spare bottom yoke is handy as you can hold the fork tight via the yoke in a vice when working on the fork. good luck.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2017, 14:42:54 »
Your forks might be slightly misaligned or pinched together at the wheel spindle at the bottom of the left fork leg

Easy to check.

Loosen the pinch bolt on the fork top yoke, the 2 on the bottom yoke and the one on the left side fork leg at the bottom.

Try pumping forks up and down and they may realign themselves on the wheel spindle and in the yokes.

6372N23-11

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2017, 12:51:23 »
Welcome to the wonderful world that is old motorcycles ...The best tools to have are breakdown cover and a mobile phone .Good luck .Rich.

Waterman

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 May, 2017, 15:58:43 »
Gentlemen, many thanks for all your kind words of wisdom, I have "acquired" said tools, mobile and breakdown cover, plus an understanding wife!!! I will as always give you an update on my progress...

keeping it shiny sides up at all times...Andy