Author Topic: Wayward headrace  (Read 483 times)

DEAN SOUTHALL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Wayward headrace
« on: 14 May, 2017, 20:01:21 »
I have been running in the Sloper and when done was planning to fit the sidecar so my wife could join me at this year's International.
Well, its turned into one step forward and two back. Firstly the end stop on the straight pull twistgrip went awol. Eventually I'll have to get one made as they appear unobtainable but i've sorted a bodge for now.
But the second problem is the killer. The upper steering race decided to work its way out of the headstock and nowt I can do will get it to stay in. A previous owner had obviously had similar problems if the dimples in the race are anything to go by. It looks like he'd ready applied some force to the steering top nut!
Just make life more challenging I have not been able to find  replacement bearings. Nor am I sue they will not also work loose.
Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: Wayward headrace
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2017, 20:24:54 »
Dean

Have you looked at Cornucopia for the parts?

http://www.cornucopia-enterprises.de/bsa-g14.html#Fork

I think the bearings they are offering for some 1936 models may be the same as the Sloper?

My book says the frame cups are 25 5673 for Sloper which are the numbers in the Cornucopia listing. And the bottom crown cup as 25 5106 which again they list. And also the top one 25 5112.

Worth looking at the loctite website for ideas to keep them in. They offer some very strong products.
« Last Edit: 14 May, 2017, 21:00:27 by JulianS »

DEAN SOUTHALL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2017, 21:56:35 »
Thansk for the prompt reply Julian. I had discounted the Cornucopia head bearings as they state they are for 36 and on models whereas my Sloper is a 29 model. Do the part nos you've got refer to '29 models?
cheers
Dean

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2017, 09:14:10 »
Dean

I have attached pages from the 1929 parts book with the parts outlined in red.

The bearings seem to cover quite a lot of the range.

Good luck.

Julian

DEAN SOUTHALL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2017, 12:30:29 »
Julian
I cannot thank you enough for that. Your effort is really appreciated. I owe you a drink or two!
I've been struggling to find a parts book without having to fork out  a lump of hard earned. I never got one so far as I bought the bike fully restored so I'd never need one. ::).
I was on the verge of a trip to VMCC library.
I'll get an order in with Cornucopia
cheers
Dean

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2017, 12:59:25 »
Dean

have sent you a PM you will find in "My Messages"

Julian