Author Topic: Plunger Suspension problem  (Read 446 times)

PGM

• Star
    • View Profile
Plunger Suspension problem
« on: 28 April, 2017, 19:45:08 »
Hello All,

I need to strip down the plunger suspension units of my M21 however the center column will not tap out further than 1/2 inch or so. It seems to be stuck to the springs somehow as trying to press it out any further than this results in it springing back up. All pinch bolts are removed and the shrouds etc are free. Any advice as to how to free it would be appreciated. Thanks.

DEAN SOUTHALL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: Plunger Suspension problem
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2017, 07:50:01 »
Can't help directlt but there is discussion on link below with someone having same problem with Bantam plunger suspension..

http://www.bsabantamclub.com/forum/d1-d3-d5-and-d7-models-1/removing-rear-plunger-suspension-and-what-paint-to-use-for-re-paint/

PGM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2017, 10:17:41 »
Thanks for the reply, I have removed the bolts but the center column still wont tap out. It moves about 1/2 inch anything further and the springs start to compress and on releasing it springs back.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2017, 13:07:19 »
Sounds like a partial seizure between the column and bearing sleeve, or something is worn and catching inside.

Attached the service sheet wich covers "A" "B" and "M" plungers.

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2017, 14:47:03 »
Just undoing the clamp bolts may not be enough. You may have to open up the sleeve a fraction with something like a blunt chisel.

PGM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2017, 19:11:46 »
After spending the day in the man cave with a blow torch big hammer and a lot of swearing Julian had it sussed, the center column had seized in the bushes. They are now apart and ready for cleaning. Many thanks for all your help.