Author Topic: Kick start rubbers! PAH!!  (Read 482 times)

DON GRAY

• Star
    • View Profile
Kick start rubbers! PAH!!
« on: 28 April, 2017, 10:14:30 »
Brand new kickstart rubber fitted.... the final touches to a rebuild.......half a dozen kicks later & the **%%ing end shears off it! What's that all about????!!!!

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: Kick start rubbers! PAH!!
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2017, 11:42:53 »
Kickstart, gearchange and footrest rubbers often seem to be poor quality and wear very quickly. Certainly wear out more quickly than some years ago.

If its gone that quick I would get my money back from the seller.

I did buy a very good open end kickstart rubber for my A10 about 18 months ago. I avoid the closed end option. It is still very good condition after many many kickstarts. That was from C and D Autos.

DWS

• Blue Star
  • 1970 RAF WD B40
    • View Profile
    • BSA WD B40 Motorcycles of the RAF Police
« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2017, 13:17:43 »
Brand new kickstart rubber fitted.... the final touches to a rebuild.......half a dozen kicks later & the **%%ing end shears off it! What's that all about????!!!!

Another example of a host of rubbish parts for classic motorcycles on the market recently I'd say, was it bought from an established supplier or one of the new 'Boy in his Bedroom' classic parts suppliers?

TTJOHN

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2017, 12:58:11 »
Yes, I had the same problem, I thought it was me being too heavy on the kick start, I guess we need to buy the ones without the end knobs on. >:(

TTJohn

DON GRAY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2017, 06:29:36 »
To be honest chaps I'm really not surprised....All the rubbers have been like this on all my Brit bikes since I can remember.... It's a wrong material choice. They wear out continuously don't they. Have you ever noticed this on Japanese bikes of say the 70's & 80's? No! They have them moulded from a much more durable elastomer material that stands up to what they're designed to do.  I was surprised that the damn NEW kickstart rubber last about 6 kicks before tearing apart! Yes, bought from one of the largest BSA suppliers, so not their fault.... Think I need to start a new business..... Durable Brit Bike Rubbers!!