Author Topic: A7 ST number plates query  (Read 3704 times)

ANNIS

• Star
    • View Profile
A7 ST number plates query
« on: 16 April, 2017, 10:49:07 »
Hi, I have an A7ST Nov 1952 reg which I am rebuilding as close as I can to the bikes (correct year and model) which did the Maudes Trophy.
Does anyone know if when I put the front blade number plate on it has to have the correct numbers (ESK 560) on, or can I use one of the Maudes bikes numbers e.g. MOL 303?
I'm guessing the answer legally is no, but interested in your views.

Thanks
Richard

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
Re: A7 ST number plates query
« Reply #1 on: 18 April, 2017, 06:57:10 »
Interesting question. I think that legally you might not get away with it. Front number plates are no longer required but they can still be displayed in which case they should be correct. Some people put information where front number plates go - as in "1952 Star Twin" which is clearly not a falsified registration mark whereas MOL 303 would be.
Anyway, MOL 303 still exists (well, the frame and crankcases do - the rest is made up from donors) so MOL 302 might be better. 

DWS

• Blue Star
  • 1970 ex-RAF Police WD B40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 April, 2017, 09:06:01 »
Yes interesting question.  I am considering displaying the RAF registration number of my RAF WD B40 on my front number plate, is it would have been when in service.  Technically not a false number but equally not a British registration number.  This one could be argued either way.

Some comment from a serving police officer would be welcome, if there is one on the forum, along with the relevant Number Plate Construction and Use regulations, if there is one.

DWS

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 April, 2017, 12:35:14 »
I've passed this question to a police traffic officer mate of mine, I'm awaiting the reply...

DWS

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2017, 08:34:39 »
Well this is interesting, I have received conflicting opinions from two serving police traffic officers.  One says, you can put anything you like on the front number plate of an Historic Taxation Class motorcycle as a front number plate is not a requirement by law.  The other says legally both plates have to match if you decide to put both number plates on the motorcycle.

Interestingly, neither can actually quote the regulation that states either case?

If DVLA have the power to impose a £1000 fine for displaying an illegal front number plate Historic Taxation Class motorcycle, there should be a regulation stating this.  As yet I cannot find one.

SLIPPERY SAM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2017, 13:09:24 »
In Lieu of a regulation it'd be worth considering the consequences - even if not legal but hassle.  While there is good consensus that you don't need a front plate - the argument for it being right - or at least not wrong is compelling.
I would agree that in most cases if stopped and checked the police may not even bat an eyelid.
However consider an ANPR or traffic warden picking up the 'false' reg and getting pulled for no tax or insurance - yeh you could probably argue it away and probably win - but at what cost in time and effort if nothing else?
I'd agree with sticking an 'info' plate on 'Maudes Trophy' or something but personally I wouldn't stick on someone else's registration number.
BTW - I'm now off to google Maudes Trophy.

SLIPPERY SAM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 April, 2017, 13:20:29 »
Just read up on the Maudes Trophy.  Man that sounds amazing - Annis your A7 Star Twin definitely needs celebrating!!!
I'd like to see a Honda Fireblade ride through London traffic north to south and east to west in top gear - or a Yamaha R1 having a de-coke in 4 minutes using just the spanners in the tool kit!
The A7 ST trophy is one of my favorites.
Stick in
Raymond.

ANNIS

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 April, 2017, 14:02:13 »
Guys,

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated. For those who've not read it I thoroughly recommend
"where BSA dares" to get the full details on the Maudes efforts.
As to suggestions I'm in a mind to go for "MOL 301" then perhaps in small letters "Maudes winner" or "Replica" - sound ok?
NMM in brum have agreed to give me access to MOL 303 to measure up for a missing A7 airlifted box which is the one bit I'm missing - looking forward to that.

Richard

DWS

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 April, 2017, 14:17:43 »
Just finished reading "Where BSAs Dare" myself, a truly inspiring story.  Highly recommended for anyone who likes BSAs.
« Last Edit: 19 April, 2017, 14:20:30 by DWS »

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
« Reply #9 on: 19 April, 2017, 17:04:39 »
An excellent story. My Star Twin gets used in the Beamish Trophy Trial on occasion. With a sidecar rear sprocket it is quite remarkable how well it copes on the steep, rocky sections. As mentioned in the book, a bit more ground clearance would be useful. Even on sidecar gearing, it's still good for 80mph. Great bikes, one of the best BSAs ever made.

ANNIS

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2017, 15:17:44 »
Folks,

Just to be on the safe side I've now checked with the NMM at Birmingham and they have said they'd be much happier if I didn't use any of MOL301-3 even with "Replica" added on the plate.
I know that doesn't answer for any others, but it clears where I need to be.

Richard

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
« Reply #11 on: 10 May, 2017, 06:41:56 »
That sounds prudent. I have an Indian Enfield which still has its Indian front number plate. However, the format is totally unlike the UK one so that can be no confusion with an existing UK registration. As this was its original registration, it adds a bit of historic character to the bike.
In the same vein, I think you would be justified in having an original military registration on the front of an ex-military bike as it is a historical link.
I can see why the NMM and possibly the odd traffic cop wouldn't like you having a valid registration number from another machine on your bike. You could signwrite "Maudes Trophy Replica" on the number plate and avoid controversy.

DWS

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 May, 2017, 14:07:35 »
Of course another option is to to make a nice tidy fitted cover for the front number plate which could be removed at shows etc.  I made such a canvas cover for the AFS Convoy ID Plate on the front mudguard of my Auxiliary Fire Service Matchless a few years ago, a couple of pop studs held it in place.