Author Topic: Advice on possible new purchase please  (Read 2661 times)

Drummie

• Star
    • View Profile
Advice on possible new purchase please
« on: 15 April, 2017, 20:14:57 »
Hi all, i'm new to the forum and hoping for some advice please.

I am going to view a 1964 A65 Rocket.  I've been told by the seller that it has had a crankshaft bush to bearing conversion. However,The bike has not been on the road for at least 4 years.

Up until now I've been happy with what the seller has told me, i.e. what's been done to it, but the fear of god has been put into me after reading a number of comments on other websites about sludge trap problems.  So, I've come to the organ grinders for advice about this and any other advice you can give me about what I should look out for when purchasing one.

I've been looking to jump from Jap bikes for a long time and finally taking the plunge, so want it to be right.  :-\

Many thanks

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on possible new purchase please
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2017, 09:02:27 »
Hi Drummie,
                    If the conversion has been carried out it would have been done professionally probably SRM. They would have highly recommended the sludge trap be opened and cleaned, I would expect any person stripping down the engine in the past to clean the trap as a matter of course. It is there to centrifuge the solids ensuring a clean oil feed to the shells, its not to be feared. My guess is that the bike is okay. When you get it home drain the oil, clean out the oil tank, oil tank gauze filter and PRV gauze. Put a pint of oil in the crankcase to ensure oil gets to the top end quickly, the remainder in the tank and restart the engine. Check in the top of oil tank to ensure the oil is returning.

I have recently stripped down 2 engines and found the traps to be in the region of 50% full which would not be detrimental to the oil feed. One of the cranks was original so I expect it contained 50 years of muck.

After the rebuilds I have added an oil filter to the system and use modern oils see:- http://www.realclassic.co.uk/techfiles/oil030319.html

There has been plenty of discussion on these subjects a quick trawl through the forums should help further.

I have had a number of BSA's over the years and enjoyed every moment of them, they have been a worthwhile hobby. Take the plunge and enjoy.

Best wishes....

Drummie

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 April, 2017, 12:19:35 »
Hi Bess,

Many thanks for getting back to me.  Really useful advice and helped put my mind at rest.  I went to see the bike and couldn't get it to fire up.  Checked and it wasn't getting a spark at the HT lead. I had taken a new battery with me to test it. Getting the bike cheap if I want it.  I'm thinking worse case scenario that he is maybe hiding a major fault with the engine, although it was kicking over and no rattles, really smooth.

I'm wondering how much an engine strip down and rebuild would cost.  Would you happen to know the average cost of this?

I feel that the bike will lie there and it needs to be rescued!

Thanks again

Drummie

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 April, 2017, 10:04:20 »
Hi Drummie,
                     I have attached SRM's 2016 price list, they probably have the most experience and it will give some idea.

The issues you are describing sound like an ignition problem. As you've no idea of its history I would temporary add cable to isolate the ignition system to help with fault finding. I have attached a wiring diagram to help.

Best wishes....

Drummie

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 April, 2017, 12:44:44 »
Thanks for the info Bess. Unfortunately the guy selling it was a time waster. back to the drawing board for me. I will get one hopefully soon. Again thanks for your help.

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 April, 2017, 14:21:22 »
Sorry to hear that..............Good luck in the future........... :(

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 April, 2017, 19:39:26 »
 :D
Purely as a matter of interest I had my A50 engine "done" last  year a bit at a time for financial reasons.
Rebore New pistons all bottom reground, and rebuilt new bearings etc. Head--new valve guides, valves and springs. Total about £400 (prob slightly less). To original spec-- no fancy bits. Please don't think I have any objection to the fancy bits.

Mike

Drummie

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2017, 22:36:51 »
Thanks for the info too Mike. Thats a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.

Drummie

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 July, 2017, 14:00:10 »
Just a little update. I finally got myself a BSA. It's a 1966 A50 Royal Star. I must be a bit of a poser, as i'm loving the attention it gets when i'm out on it haha. Thanks for the help and advice given earlier in my search, it was much appreciated. I will no doubt be online with a few questions very soon. Drummie.

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2017, 18:47:42 »
Sounds good, happy riding.... :)