Author Topic: A bit in the side  (Read 5790 times)

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
A bit in the side
« on: 13 April, 2017, 19:48:34 »
I can't recall why but some time ago I decided I would fit a sidecar to the Sloper. So I found a period chassis and braked wheel locally and sorted out the fittings. Boxing day 2015 I got bored so started building a body. I had alreday decided on a replica BSA Model 7 as I only needed a single seater.

Only then did I think about gearing down the engine to cope with the extra load. I was a bit of a twit really not to make sure I could sort this before all the effort to on the chair. The Sloper owners' handbook is very helpful in explaning how to set up a sidecar and the engine gearing options. But could I find an engine sprocket for a 29 Sloper...not  a chance. I even visited a local gear manufacturer who offered to have a go at making one. £150 if it worked, no charge of it didn't, whcih is decent of him but an expensive way of getting a sprocket especially as I would be guessing at the size to go for.

Then as it happens I obtained an M20 engine sprocket this week (it came with the bits of an almost entire bike) so I thought I'd might as well try my luck and see how close a fit is was on the Sloper. Its fits!!!!! So, I have an 18 tooth sprocket on order as I type (£19 plus postage). Oh happy man ;D

Only trouble is that when I fit the sidecar I have no space left to store it, which is probaly why its taken me nearly three years to get the job done >:(
Another begging letter in the local newsletter asking for storage space will be appearing soon.
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: A bit in the side
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2017, 17:27:12 »
Just seen the title to this. My tryping isn't getting any better :(

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 April, 2017, 10:16:22 »
Hi Dean,
              Found myself looking at this thread due to the title...... :o ....  :)
« Last Edit: 18 April, 2017, 10:18:43 by Bess »

ROYC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 July, 2017, 17:33:29 »
I have just had my A7ss picked up to have a chair fitted, I mentioned to the man collecting it that I hadn't geared it down, he replied that it wasn't necessary.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 July, 2017, 19:39:38 »
Roy, I suppose it depends on the weight you will be lugging. You can see how it goes and how long your clutch lasts and fit a smaller sprocket later if required.
Are you fitting heavier fork springs? I know they are available for teles but have not come across them for the girders on my sloper.

ROYC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 July, 2017, 20:14:05 »
It's only a single seater. I'm not insured to carry passengers.
Standard springs.
I already have a lower cush sprocket if required but want to keep the higher gearing if pos.
and I am fitting a TLS front brake
Sidecar will be like this one.
« Last Edit: 14 July, 2017, 20:27:07 by ROYC »
My bike is a 1958 A7SS

ROYC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 November, 2017, 18:21:35 »
It's only a single seater. I'm not insured to carry passengers.
Standard springs.
I already have a lower cush sprocket if required but want to keep the higher gearing if pos.
and I am fitting a TLS front brake
Sidecar will be like this one.
A bit of an update.
Sidecar fitted  -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Gm_IPW8Ek 
Sidecar springs fitted to forks.
Hagon rear shocks.
50AH battery in sidecar boot.
Indicators now fitted.
TLS front brake.
12v electrics and LEDs all round.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 November, 2017, 19:31:37 »
An absolute beauty Roy. Thanks for posting the link.
Here's to many miles of happy motoring on her.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 November, 2017, 20:49:48 »
Great outfit!!

ROYC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 November, 2017, 21:11:11 »
Great outfit!!

Couldn't have done it without the help of you guys on this forum and the A7 A10 forum.
Thanks to all who helped.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS

bikerbob

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 November, 2017, 19:41:24 »
That is one stunning outfit,but I am a bit surprissed that someone would say that the gearing does not need to be changed it would not be the clutch that would concern me but the extra load on the engine. The reason I say this because some 50 odd years ago my brother had a 1957 Gold Flash and he had fitted a single seater Swallow sidecar and did not alter the gearing it lasted about a month the crankshaft snapped through the big end journal. Now it could have been because he always had someone in the sidecar or because it had the small journal crankshaft your,s looks as though it will have the large journal crankshaft but I would always alter the gearing when fitting a sidecar. I come from a family that had many a sidecar outfit my late father if he was going out and did not have anyone in the sidecar he would put a bag of sand in the sidecar to aid handling. Right hand bends are no problem but if you take a left hand bend to fast the sidecar will come up off the ground and you will lose control I know from experience.

Jackson

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 November, 2017, 15:03:29 »
An absolute beauty.

ROYC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 April, 2018, 13:17:47 »
I have geared it down from 18T to 17T and fitted a SRM clutch.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS