Author Topic: B25 Kickstart Problems  (Read 356 times)

PRICE

• Star
    • View Profile
B25 Kickstart Problems
« on: 13 April, 2017, 19:49:12 »
Hi,
Can anyone help me out here with this problem?

I have a 1969 Fleetstar, which I bought last year. It had lots of work done by the previous owner, but I'm not sure everything was done correctly.

The kickstart has a lot of up and down movement on the cotter pin. I have put a new cotter pin in, but it made no difference. It has actually had a small shim inserted as well to take up the play.

So, it seems that either the shaft is not right, or the kickstart lever is not right.

The shaft appears to be new, because it's nice condition with no wear and the kickstart appears new also. I'm expecting that the previous owner replaced either or both of these parts for pattern parts made in another country that don't quite match up to specification.

I measured the cut out on the shaft. From inside the cutout - the flat part, to the outer edge of the shaft is 17/32. This does appear to be a big cutout to me.

Is this a normal cutout? Has anyone got a shaft that they can measure this distance and confirm?

If mine is ok, then I am assuming that the kickstart lever has the hole offset too far over.

If someone can help me to determine if the shaft is the right thickness, then I will change the Kickstart lever.

Regards
Stuart

DEAN SOUTHALL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: B25 Kickstart Problems
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2017, 20:55:50 »
There were similaer problems with some pattern A10 kickstarts. I seem to recall the cotter pin holes were not to original spec. My solution was to buy another one from a different supplier. This fitted nice and securely to the kickstart shaft but hit the silencer >:(
Next time I'll go for a tatty OE one and fork out for refurbing.