Author Topic: Dating certificates & DVLA applications  (Read 14132 times)

DON GRAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Dating certificates & DVLA applications
« on: 17 March, 2017, 06:34:57 »
Hello fellow Beezer enthusiasts!

I've recently come to the end of rebuilding my B44 Victor Special Street Scrambler, & having applied with the necessary docs & pics to the dating officer, was wondering what sort of lead time there was in getting things back.... from the dating certificate, then to the DVLA doing their stuff? Anyone done this successfully recently please? Naturally I'm itching to try her out!

Nice looking forum....I'm new on here, but looks like plenty of info here!  :)

Cheers Don.

MOONSDRIFT

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: Dating certificates & DVLA applications
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2017, 15:28:30 »
I submitted my application to DVLA back in October (cheque dated 31.10.16) cheque cashed the next working day, between Christmas and new year they asked for more information? so I sent photos of bike, engine and frame number etc, last week I phoned DVLA and they said they would write to me in the next two weeks!!

Twenty weeks now!!

If I put the reg number into the DVLA system it comes up strait away, so I do not know what the delay is.

Good luck with your application but don't expect DVLA to be quick.

bobandbec

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2017, 22:57:06 »
I recently applied to BSAOC for dating letter.
That took about 5 weeks to come back.

DON GRAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 March, 2017, 11:45:24 »
Well....blimey! I was rather hoping to use the bike sometime soon!  :( Hope my dating certificate comes through quicker than that! Fingers crossed.....

MOONSDRIFT

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 March, 2017, 15:19:13 »
Update, I received a letter today from DVLA asking for more information and photos!!
I sent all the photos at Christmas, well at least the bike is appreciating with time, by the time I get my V5C the bike will me worth a fortune! :D

SLIPPERY SAM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 March, 2017, 13:12:53 »
I'm having similar problems.
Can anyone ping me a private message with contact details other than a postal address for Steve please?
I'm beginning to think something has gone missing in the post!

PS - My experience so far -
Moondrift - similar to you I had a V5 with the bike (had been off the road since early 80s?) - When I sent all that off - the number was showing on DVLA - I got the run around - number in use by someone else etc - send photos, filled out forms etc - eventually after monthss and a lot of back and forth - I was told number is void - fill out a built up (Q plate)  - Nahh, don't think so.
I then went down the dating route for age related application.  Had to finish the build though which took a couple of months.  I got some information but had to send it back for correction and at the same time jump through the Nova 1 importation hoop as the motor had originally been sent to Holland!  Got the HMRC bit done just waiting on the corrected dating report (and needing to check it's not gone missing in the post).
From First sending off my V5 (end of April 16), through DVLA wrangling - through finishing build - through dating - through HMRC importation duty to now and clock still ticking.  Good thing is at least the bike is still clean and zero miles sitting under a dust cover -read yo go.  Just hoping I'm not going to be too old to kick start it when I finally get it registered - LOL

Raymond.

DON GRAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 March, 2017, 17:35:54 »
In my experience of the Trident & Rocket 3 OC, to apply & receive the dating certificate to change it at DVLA to Historic Vehicle Class took only a week. So hoping that Steve will be able to produce the goods soon as Spring has sprung round here!  8)

DON GRAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 March, 2017, 11:18:02 »
Any luck with contacting Steve - Raymond (Slipperysam)????

13Brads

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 March, 2017, 14:21:24 »
They completely denied ever receiving my application but somehow managed to cash my cheque!!!
Managed to get my money back eventually, but subsequently took weeks to get my bike registered and had to accept an age related number despite some very comprehensive history and evidence. Not impressed. :(

SLIPPERY SAM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 March, 2017, 16:46:45 »
Any luck with contacting Steve - Raymond (Slipperysam)????
No not yet. I do really appreciate everything the club does and I'm very mindful that these guys are doing this for the love of it and I'm guessing can get very busy.  So I'm not keen to sound like I'm moaning - I'm absolutely not.
I'll try sending a letter just to make sure I'm in the queue and not lost in the post 😁
Cheers raymond

bobandbec

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 March, 2017, 22:50:56 »
When I was waiting to hear about my dating letter from BSAOC I sent an email via the contact us on the main BSAOC site. This was after I had waited about three weeks and I was worried my letter of application might have not reached its destination.
The reply was that it can take 6 to 8 weeks for the dating officer to sort out these applications because, as you said, they are all volunteers and have limited time to devote to the process.
Mine came back at about six weeks after sending.
As I was not in a hurry anyway this was not a problem for me.

SLIPPERY SAM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 March, 2017, 13:34:28 »
I'll give the contact page a try.  I've already waited my 6 weeks - now half way through my second 6 weeks.  Hope everything is okay this time round  :D
Raymond.

DON GRAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 March, 2017, 18:35:34 »
Ho hum! There's a phrase that comes to mind here....patience maketh the man.... Dunno where it comes from but, with little alternatives......we just gotta chill man....& let Steve get around to it when he can & hope the mandarins in the DVLA do the right thing for us in a timely manner..

Good luck all!!

MALCOLM.JOHNSON

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 March, 2017, 20:05:21 »
Back in 2004, I had restored/rebuilt an A10 which came to me with an old brown continuation logbook and all numbers checked out with the machine. However Steve Foden turned me down for support in retaining the number and  I emphasise this is not a criticism of him. It turned out that the frame had left the factory the year after the year stated on the logbook. Quite clearly a clerical error at the time of the continuation book, but my evidence was not sound enough and therefore I had to re apply for a dating certificate for an age related number. All this took several months and eventually I took the train with all the relevant documents to my then local DVLA to get the machine registered. I had also taken with me the old log book and to cut a long story short .... I was asked what was wrong with the registration  number on the old book :o! I was duly provided with my number plate authority for its original number! AND when the V5 arrived it had been left as a transferable registration. How times have changed. When I eventually sold the bike on, I left the number where I hope it will stay....and that is with the bike.  Finally Steve will have certain parameters that he can operate with and one of those will be the time he has available to do a pretty thankless task - well done Steve.   

DON GRAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 March, 2017, 21:34:19 »
UPDATE - Hi All, just received my dating certificate from Steve, so..... Next stop DVLA !

Sincere thanks Steve if you read this, or can it pass on....You do a sterling & very valuable job for the club members. Cheers! Don Gray.  :)