Author Topic: Dating certificates & DVLA applications  (Read 14133 times)

MIKEPLUMBER

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: Dating certificates & DVLA applications
« Reply #30 on: 12 May, 2017, 19:57:40 »
Hi there I have recently been through this with an old C11g that had been off the road for a long time old reg not on DVLA records.
Thanks to BSA owners club dating certificate & build sheet I applied for v55 all I had was dating info pictures of bike frame  & engine no. pictures rubbings
MOT exemption form my ID .DVLA asked for inspection so this was arranged man came out as promised looked over bike (I were not present )called me to check all parts we original went away aprox 2 weeks later have been issued age related plate well pleased thanks to dating officer
                                  Mike

MOONSDRIFT

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 26 May, 2017, 19:39:40 »
Hi Mike, can I ask, did you have to pay for the inspection?
After 30! Weeks, DVLA have now said my C15 requires inspection, after 30 weeks! I am fet up of calling them only to be told a letter is in the post, the last time I emailed photo of Bike and had a reply that they would reply in three working days - after ten days and no reply, I called yet again to be told that was an automated email and to TAKE NO NOTICE of this! They said there was a letter to me on the screen but refused to tell be what it said.

The service from DVLA s dreadful and if I treated customers this was I would have no customers - clearly DVLA are not answerable to anyone!

I am of a mind to break the bike as dealing with DVLA will raise my blood pressure to an unacceptable level.

Thanks
Mark

MIKEPLUMBER

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 31 May, 2017, 22:18:04 »
Hi Mark
           No there is no cost for the inspection .I understand that you feel DVLA have not been much help to you but as far as I am cocerned they
were very good and did all they were ment to !!! As I said before the inspection was the last stage for me so hang in there .
                                                           Mike
P.S I have nothing to do with the DVLA

SLIPPERY SAM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 June, 2017, 18:46:15 »
Whoop whoop
Well it's finally here😀
Got my registration through today!
6 months and a day but who's counting.
Quick question - is 3 numbers followed by 3 letters normal for an age related plate (1956 model)?  I was kind of expecting 3 letters followed by 3 numbers?
Also - I believe white on black is the correct style for this year? Silver on black pressed number plates are easier to obtain but not sure how correct that'd be.  I'm not a rivet counter would just be a shame to give a rivet counter an excuse to comment for the sake of asking what's correct 😀  What's more is the variety of sizes and shapes - don't know which to go for?
Nearly on the road though - plates insurance (against the proper reg) and tax (historic😀) I can nearly feel the wind in my hair (not that I have much left now! Had a full mullet before I got this bike - LOL
Raymond

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05 June, 2017, 19:17:39 »
That good news.

Numbers followed by letters is OK - way back, when Local Tax Offices ran out of  letters followed by numbers they changed to numbers followed by letters.

For example in 1956 Surrey County Council issued a series of 3 numbers follwed by letters APA.

As number plates were made up locally the styles vary on what was available- silver on black pressed, stick on white on blackand raised white on black for example.
« Last Edit: 05 June, 2017, 19:23:40 by JulianS »

SLIPPERY SAM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 06 June, 2017, 08:31:52 »
Thanks Jules,
Number plates ordered.
Will phone around for fresh insurance at lunchtime (had it on a joint policy by frame number but MCE said they couldn't leave it on a frame number any longer and cancelled it!).
Could be on the road by the weekend - assuming the monsoon subsides :-)

Cheers Raymond.

DON GRAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14 June, 2017, 15:27:27 »
Well done Raymond!!  :D I bet you are chuffed!! All go now then!!

SLIPPERY SAM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 15 June, 2017, 08:08:44 »
Went out on my maiden voyage last night - a short ride to my local classic bike club meet at Leadburn.  Happy to report everything went really well.  Bike started and ran fine, stayed oil tight and behaved it's self.  The bike went down really well at the gathering and despite there being a myriad of makes and models and owners (from Brough Superior to Yamaha 2 stroke) - the old A10 drew a fair bit of interest.
Very pleased with results of my labour.
On the ride there the motor ran smooth and quiet on the way back shortly after taking off I got a few coughs and splutters (still cold?) then after a couple of miles it cleared and felt twice as powerful as it did on the way out.  Given that's it's first 20 miles - I'll give it another 20 or 30 miles before I do the oil and set about some tuning.  Oh and will have a little look at the front brake - that didn't feel great (but new shoes and cable and all that so might just need a few miles to bed in?).
Couldn't be more pleased or proud of my old A10.

cheers Raymond.

MOONSDRIFT

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 31 July, 2017, 18:20:21 »
Final update, after 41! weeks DVLA say my C15 requires MSVA, I had it inspected by DVLA back in June and the inspector said as he walked now the drive 'in 7-10 days you will get your log book'

I have spent not only the initial £25, but numerous stamps, phone calls, emails, photo's and time all for nothing. DVLA customer service is shocking, they replied to one email saying something like they would respond in three working days, they did not. When I phone some 20 days latter and asked about the email I was told ' we never respond to emails, it is an automated reply' I asked that they removed it to stop anyone else wasting thier time, but was told NO.

I am now left with a perfectly good C15 that will end up being broke for spares, irrespective of the process, DVLA customer service is abissmal.

DON GRAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 01 August, 2017, 10:51:50 »
 :( Crikey Mark...... So sorry to hear your tale of woe. It really is shocking about DVLA's lack of performance. Whats an MSVA anyway? It would be sad to break the bike if it is up & running ok & engine & frame numbers match ok. Just wondering......Is it that there is something unusual about the bike or it's provenance that they are hesitating issuing a number? For instance, have you assembled the bike from parts from several others for instance, or changed it radically? Anyway, hope you get it sorted soon. Best of luck. Don.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01 August, 2017, 11:26:15 »
Probably means they are considering a "Q" plate because for some reason they dont think it qualifies for an age related plate. You need the Motor Cycle Single Vehicle Approval for the "Q" plate.

Some info on the DVLA website.

Would be worth speaking to someone there.

MOONSDRIFT

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01 August, 2017, 13:21:50 »
I do not know why, they have never said why. The fact remains it has taken 41 weeks to get this far.
Any other organisation you would have some redress for the time taken and lack of communication, just to let every one know, DVLA may not be strait forward.

MOONSDRIFT

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 23 August, 2017, 21:36:11 »
Well this really is the final word on my DVLA tale of woe, today I received a letter from DVLA apologising for the poor service I have received, as way of recommence they are sending me £30, that's the £25 fee originally sent + an extra £5 (to spend on what ever I like) after almost ten months the claim to recover my V5C is over. I now have a complete mint C15 for breaking, mainly due to DVLA's incompetence.