Author Topic: Dating certificates & DVLA applications  (Read 14147 times)

SLIPPERY SAM

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: Dating certificates & DVLA applications
« Reply #15 on: 31 March, 2017, 13:02:34 »
Don,
I got mine back on Wednesday - Unfortunately 2" ripped off one corner and the top had a big split in it - so back in the loop for a 3rd time - grrr...  This one we can only put down to the post office!  I've never had anything damaged in the post before now - it would have to be the thing I've been waiting 12 weeks for!!!
There's always next year - Or might be giving Mick (MB) on ebay a run for his money if I break the thing - it really is becoming an attractive option.
Raymond.

DON GRAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 April, 2017, 12:48:39 »
Hi Raymond

Just got my Victor Special MOt'd on Saturday & since it says on the dating certificate it was originally exported to the states, I've just sent the relevant forms & supporting info to HMRC. So.... hopefully they'll process that by return.....then send accumulated stuff to DVLA.... Good luck with yours. Wont the DVLA accept a damaged certificate then? Cheers Don 

SLIPPERY SAM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 April, 2017, 20:55:46 »
Don, I've gone with the ripped one, it's only the corner missing and not any information. It looks like a well used one that's been knocking about a garage toolbox for year despite only being a week old.
Hope you get a pleasant surprise with the nova forms, HMRC were really quick with a reply to mine.  Mind you they (HMRC) just done me over at work with this new IR35 contractor tax policy - I've just had to change contracts and now earning 60% of what I did last week!  Time for a new job I think🤔
Meanwhile back on topic - the race is on for this registration.
I've got everything crossed🙄
Stick in
Raymond.

SLIPPERY SAM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 April, 2017, 08:13:20 »
My lunge for the line - to win the race to get registered just took a nasty turn on Friday.  I got home to a brown DVLA envelope and I could hardly contain myself as I hurriedly opened the thing!  Upon reading the first line - my heart sank - Your application has been rejected!!!
Ohh man!!
Reading further it went on to state that dating certificates must be this and that and state the evidence used - blah blah - definitely a standard cover all response (rejection).  I went through the dating certificate - checking off all the 'rules', yip, states that, covers this - what's the problem?  Then it dawned on me - hang on this is a photo copy!  Went to my BSA folder and sure enough - there were the originals.  Turns out in all the form filling, copying of passports, electricity bills etc - I'd not included the original dating certificates (about the only one that has to be original).  So all sorted out packaged up and back in the post to DVLA.

So there goes another 4 weeks of my life - and another 4 to wait - man this registering a bike thing will be the end of me.
Fingers crossed again.
Raymond.

DON GRAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 April, 2017, 10:10:35 »
Well you are still just ahead of me Raymond! I've just heard that my Nova application has been approved, so will gather all the evidence & docs together for the DVLA & get that in the post tomorrow. So... thanks for the timely reminder about sending the original dating certs & fingers crossed, might be allowed to ride my Beezer by the end of May! Damn drawn out process eh!!   :-\

MOONSDRIFT

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 April, 2017, 18:42:36 »
Update, now over 26 weeks waiting for DVLA and my V5C,
did someone say 'patience make the man'

DON GRAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 April, 2017, 18:52:10 »
Crikey! Have you rung them to see what on earth is happening? Gotta be worth hanging on a phone??  :o

MOONSDRIFT

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 April, 2017, 15:27:30 »
Yes, they say the person dealing with my case is unavailable at the moment, but they will write to me!

DON GRAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 May, 2017, 19:53:53 »
UPDATE! Received the new V5 & age related number for my B44 Victor Special on Saturday. Took DVLA 11 days to process & that included a Bank Holiday in there as well. I think that's pretty reasonable TBH. Hopefully I'll get my certificates etc back under seperate cover soon..... Took her for a Short shakedown spin today & returned home happy & with a list of bits n bobs to adjust. Running a bit rich & there's a blimmin rattle somewhere on neutral throttle openings.....primary chain??? Anyway, head re torque & tappets to do as well.... Good luck to those still waiting for the DVLA to do their stuff. Cheers All!

SLIPPERY SAM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 May, 2017, 07:53:30 »
Congratulations Don,  Must be a great feeling.
I fear my own shake down is a bit off yet.  I did receive another DVLA envelope - sadly not a V5.  This time it was a letter telling me that they wanted an SGS examination!
So I have the letter with me today and will give them a call.  I really hope I don't have to go and hire a van and take a day off to get an inspection done???
The hilarious bit of the letter is at the bottom they say - If you have to take the vehicle to SGS to be examined (that's what makes me think they won't come to me) - please note the vehicle needs to be roadworthy, Taxed and insured - not sure how I can do that without a registration?
Still living in hope of a result this side of Christmas.
Raymond.

DON GRAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 May, 2017, 14:24:42 »
Yes Raymond, thank you, a great feeling resurrecting a "dead" bike & feeling it alive again & as it was 50 years ago! Crikey! Shame yours is taking so long with them. I guess I was very lucky as mine was straightforward just needing a new number issuing. Hopefully after a bit of carb tuning & tinkering, she'll be good to go for another 50! Good luck with yours.

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 May, 2017, 18:38:52 »
Excellent news Don!

Raymond I was worried I would have to get inspection on my A65 luckily didn't get to that stage. I think your bike would pass inspection no problem at all looks like you will be hiring a van! wonder where you have to take it to or can a club inspector do it for you? or was that the old way of doing things.

cheers

derek

SLIPPERY SAM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 May, 2017, 12:46:14 »
Irony is I already got an owners club report along with my dating certificate - so have already proven it's complete, clear numbers, photos, rubbings and all.  I did read somewhere that about 10% get lumbered with an SGS examination.  Mine has a note on the BSAOC report that says the engine originally went to Holland (hence had to get HMRC import duty exemptions (Nova 1 forms) etc) and that might be why it popped up in the percentage that get inspected.  Hay ho - we'll just have to get on with it.  I called to arrange an inspection yesterday to be reminded that it takes 5 days for them to arrange so will get a date next week which should be inside 4 weeks depending on workload.  What's another 5 weeks between friends?  Think I'll be fitting a pair of knobbly tyres for the shakedown run about November :-)  Double irony is the bike only took 7 months to build and I'm at 6 months this week trying to register with about 5 weeks plus DVLA time to come!
I'm afraid the magic is beginning to rub off a little - haven't even lifted the dust cover off for about 4 weeks and can hardly remember what the thing looks like :-(  I fear I might start a new project before this one is on the road.
Patience maketh the man and all that.
Heads up though - if for any reason the examination determines I can't get an age related plate or need a Q plate - there will be a load of cracking parts hitting the for sale section and Ebay!  Reckon I'd have more chance of getting my investment back that way :-)  Brand new fresh Roller bearing bottom end, standard size barrels with new 9:1 pistons, recon alloy head, Bob Newby belt clutch kit, New Lucas dynamo, recon K2f, Lyta tank, recon G/B, SRM oil pump ........ - could take me a while to list everything :-)
Raymond.

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 May, 2017, 16:03:18 »
Irony is I already got an owners club report along with my dating certificate - so have already proven it's complete, clear numbers, photos, rubbings and all.  I did read somewhere that about 10% get lumbered with an SGS examination.  Mine has a note on the BSAOC report that says the engine originally went to Holland (hence had to get HMRC import duty exemptions (Nova 1 forms) etc) and that might be why it popped up in the percentage that get inspected.  Hay ho - we'll just have to get on with it.  I called to arrange an inspection yesterday to be reminded that it takes 5 days for them to arrange so will get a date next week which should be inside 4 weeks depending on workload.  What's another 5 weeks between friends?  Think I'll be fitting a pair of knobbly tyres for the shakedown run about November :-)  Double irony is the bike only took 7 months to build and I'm at 6 months this week trying to register with about 5 weeks plus DVLA time to come!
I'm afraid the magic is beginning to rub off a little - haven't even lifted the dust cover off for about 4 weeks and can hardly remember what the thing looks like :-(  I fear I might start a new project before this one is on the road.
Patience maketh the man and all that.
Heads up though - if for any reason the examination determines I can't get an age related plate or need a Q plate - there will be a load of cracking parts hitting the for sale section and Ebay!  Reckon I'd have more chance of getting my investment back that way :-)  Brand new fresh Roller bearing bottom end, standard size barrels with new 9:1 pistons, recon alloy head, Bob Newby belt clutch kit, New Lucas dynamo, recon K2f, Lyta tank, recon G/B, SRM oil pump ........ - could take me a while to list everything :-)
Raymond.

this is the home stretch you are on now don't give up! all this nice weather we are having will be gone on Friday and then its back to the usual and should pick up again in time for you being on the road! Scottish Classic show on june 17th!

DON GRAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 May, 2017, 11:18:12 »
Hold the faith Raymond!! You'll get there!! This inspection - if its the same as I've heard about before - I believe just takes about 10 mins & is for "them" to visually verify the paperwork & description all tallies with the "real thing". I really hope it all works out soon for you...cheers Don.