Author Topic: Bike recovery  (Read 2048 times)

TIGER

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Bike recovery
« on: 15 March, 2018, 10:27:33 »
Hello people
Having rebuilt my C15 last year many of you gave me tons of
help and advice.
Now starting to trust my bike for longer trips.
So any advice on recovery in the event of a breakdown would be great.
Looking at RAC, very expensive for a limited service.
Thanks in anticipation.
Regards
           Tim
PS.  Still looking for a classic to work on.

ROYC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: Bike recovery
« Reply #1 on: 15 March, 2018, 10:32:40 »
I have been with Greenflag for many years. I gave them a ring and they said that they would recover my bike, or indeed any vehicle belonging to me or that I was a pasenger in.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 March, 2018, 11:02:08 »
Tim,

Who are you insured with?  Carole Nash policies include recovery.

Dave.

TIGER

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 March, 2018, 11:08:04 »
My insurance is with FJ Footman.
I need to check with them.
Thanks for the comment.
Regard
         Tim

TTJOHN

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 March, 2018, 15:09:23 »
Dave, you have a PM.

TTJohn

ducati2242

• Silver Star
  • DB 34 GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 March, 2018, 16:58:33 »
Im with the AA , probably the same as others , its you they cover and will get you and whatever transport your in to your home or destination .
1956 bsa GS DB500
1968 mk1 Rocket 3
2006 ducati 999R .

om15

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 March, 2018, 13:22:50 »
I have a three bike policy with Lynbrook Insurance that includes recovery and legal aid for all three bikes.
I have been riding my C15 for about five years (locally), the odd bit drops off and sometimes it cough fuel everywhere, but it always gets me home, including the occasion the grub screw at the end of the clutch push rod unscrewed itself and rendered the clutch unserviceable.
Good luck with longer runs, if you have the bike well sorted you shouldn't have any problems, but it is reassuring to know that you have back up.

Straw Bear

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 March, 2018, 20:28:42 »
Be careful with these so called recovery schemes with insurance companies. I was with my mate a while back on a club ride out around 120 miles from home and he got a puncture on his Harley. He contacted his insurance company and they said he was covered in his policy for the first 10 miles free and £1 per mile thereafter which would have cost him £110  >:(
Fortunately my wife is a joint AA member so became his pillion and both of them and the bike got home for free. I have never found anything better than the AA cover for any of my vehicles . You gets what you pay for....... ;)

MALCOLM.JOHNSON

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 March, 2018, 21:08:15 »
I was with the RAC for at least 20 years and hardly used them except when a chain snapped on a Suzuki I had many years ago - it was good quick service.....until last year when I needed them twice! Once on a bike breakdown and once in the car. On both occasions it was over 25 minutes before anyone even answered the phone at the RAC and on the bike occasion, my mobile battery ran out while the phone was ringing and I had to walk to the nearest property to borrow a landline call. The actual pick up service was good ( usually contracted out), but it is no fun waiting all that time to get connected. The RAC got kicked into touch at the next renewal. We shall see how my new provider performs, but what is certain, whoever we use we do need to be able to contact them.... so first we need a fully charged mobile....and secondly a decent signal! 

om15

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 March, 2018, 11:32:24 »
The attached shows the wording on my insurance, it seems pretty watertight, this is an "ERS" policy, never had to use it (touch wood), this is an integral part of the insurance policy, the breakdown for this is
BSA C15 £74.96
RE 500 Classic £30.00
Triumph Street Twin £163.57
That's fully comp, 9 years no claim and gives recovery and legal aid, is this good value? I haven't shopped around as I thought this was pretty good value, appreciate any comments.

Used the RAC once in nearly 40 years, hit a deer at high speed, car was a real mess (as was the unfortunate deer), the RAC were very good, got me and the car home, offered to arrange medical check up and were very supportive.

bikerbob

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 March, 2018, 17:40:07 »
I am insured through Peter James and have 2 bikes a 1963 A65 and a 1956 A7 both with agreed valuation unlimited mileage legal cover  breakdown cover fully comprehensive and for both bikes I paid £89.39 for one year I have been unable to find a better quote. I did breakdown once and rang their help number, the AA came out and got me running again they came out in about 40 minutes but apologised for the delay as they were stuck in roadworks.

paulm

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 March, 2018, 18:27:48 »
We were in Belgium three years ago, bike insured on a classic policy with breakdown cover or so we thought, the bike broke down and we called the insurance company, when the driver arrived we were informed they wanted paying in cash no cards accepted, we rang up the insurance company who told us break down assistance means they assist you with the breakdown but will not pay, we pointed out the policy states we will get you home,  they will get you home but take the bike to a safe place of storage the bike is up to you to recover, cost £300 in Belgium to get to the ferry and then another £200 to get home from Hull.
This was with one of the Major Classic insurance companys who have been endorsed by the BSAOC i do not in any way blame the BSAOC what i am saying is we are all very easily conned and insurance policy wording it very misleading, you read "we will get you home" you ashume you are covered but it did not say we will get your bike home
BEWARE

Mark B

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 April, 2018, 14:41:36 »
I'm a bit late for this discussion, but Peter James is the answer for classic bikes. They offer free breakdown recovery for all of mainland Europe, and it works. The first time I got caught out in a hailstorm and broke the clutch lever on my Morini as I slid down the road.  The AA were there within an hour and I had a lovely warm ride home in the van with my bike trailered behind.

The second time, on a different Morini, a main bearing broke somewhere along the French/German border. The bike was recovered by a local firm who held it until the AA transporter arrived collecting stricken bikes from Europe, and 10 days later the bike was delivered to my home in Hertfordshire.  Meanwhile Peter James arranged and paid for a flight for me from Basel to Luton.  I don't think anyone could do better than that.  And my insurance premium wasn't bumped up either.