Author Topic: Throttle cable  (Read 1636 times)

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Throttle cable
« on: 12 March, 2018, 16:12:19 »
I've got problems with my throttle cable and twistgrip, and am embarrassed to say I don't know anything about them or how to adjust them. Should the item on the photo screw into the hole in the twistgrip housing?

Phil (novice.)

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
Re: Throttle cable
« Reply #1 on: 12 March, 2018, 16:58:20 »
The B40 throttle cable doesn't normally come with an adjuster fitted and so one must be fitted either at the carb end of the cable or the throttle end. The adjuster you've got slips over the inner cable and looks as though it should screw into the throttle where the cable enters. However, this depends on whether you have the appropriate throttle fitted to the bike. The alternative is to use an adjuster that screws into the top of the carb. If you haven't got one they can be obtained from AMAL/Burlen.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 March, 2018, 17:25:43 »
That is an adjuster which screws into the carb top.

Your carb top will either be threaded to take it, or if a plain bored hole will take a top hat ferrule.

See photo below, top carb top with adjusters and lower one showing the threaded holes.

The twistgrip usually takes a plain split top hat ferrule.

Richard Mills

• Blue Star
  • B33
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 March, 2018, 17:36:07 »
I've never seen an Amal carb cable adjuster with a longitudinal split in it. Owner modified?

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 March, 2018, 18:54:42 »
I was wondering if it's some kind of modification by a previous owner. It was where the bare cable shows on the photo, the cable went inside it (via the slot) and the item slid up, threaded end first, into the twistgrip housing as per the route of the cable. But there appears to be nothing to stop it sliding down again. I don't get it. I guess the thread is redundant anyway. Could it be a spacer of some kind? What should be where the bare cable is?

Also, see other photo, isn't this the adjuster, about eight inches down from the twistgrip? If so, do I need more than just that one?

Phil (novice.)

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 March, 2018, 19:59:16 »
Normally the twistgrip end of the cable will fit into a split tophat ferrule as in first photo.

With a mid cable adjuster, which is a much better idea that the fiddly hard to get at ones on top of the carb, you normally find a plain tophat ferrule (second photo) on the cable end to fits in the carb top.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2018, 21:05:57 »
Let me check that I understand.  The bottom end of my mid-cable adjuster should have a plain (ie not split) top hat ferrule on it, which pushes up into the adjuster?

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 March, 2018, 21:08:41 »
Also, what kind of fit into the throttle housing should the split top hat ferrule be?

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 March, 2018, 14:55:12 »
If the throttle has a hole which is too big for the cable, and isn't threaded to take an adjuster, then it needs the split top hat ferrule which simply pushes into the throttle housing and is held in place by tension in the cable produced by the throttle spring. You don't need anything else.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 March, 2018, 17:27:23 »
Okay I guess the item I've got is a home-made top hat ferrule, but it's not held in place, it just falls off. Of course it could be me.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 March, 2018, 17:52:58 »
If you get the proper item it will be held in place by the cable.
« Last Edit: 13 March, 2018, 17:59:21 by JulianS »

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 March, 2018, 18:02:06 »
Okay thanks, I'll try to get one.