Author Topic: Tyre levers: how big ? How many ?  (Read 1748 times)

hoogerbooger

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Tyre levers: how big ? How many ?
« on: 05 March, 2018, 20:08:53 »
I need a new front tyre. Whilst I have a motorcycle garage 4 miles away I'd feel a lot happier knowing I could fix  a puncture myself  - particularly as I hope to do a bit of a tour on it once its going well enough . So I reckon I should sort this tyre change myself....which means I need to buy levels/kit

Looks like the original tool kit had two 9" spoon levers ?  Which seems a bit small to me ? ( based on guessing - after a lifetime of bicycles) I can see 9" ones would fit inside the tool box cover of my B40 ..... but could I rely on them for enough leverage?

Any advice ?  was wondering if I get two 9" and perhaps a 16" as well for the garage tool box. But I haven't a clue how big/how many is sensible

Dabbist

• Blue Star
  • thebackyardbuilder.net
    • View Profile
    • thebackyardbuilder.net
Re: Tyre levers: how big ? How many ?
« Reply #1 on: 06 March, 2018, 10:51:27 »
to be honest, it seems to depend a lot on the tyre.  I have two 16" ones and a 9".  I found that made changing the Maxxis on the back of my Suzuki a lot easier. On the other hand I only used two taking the front tyre off my B40 and only really needed half the leverage.
I think you're about right with your assessment.  A couple of nice big ones for the comfort of the garage and being stuck by the roadside should give you quite enough determination to get away with 9" in your toolbox  :)
rebuild blog at thebackyardbuilder.net

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 March, 2018, 11:10:27 »
I use 9 inch levers on my A10 fitted with Avon Roadriders.

I also use a proper tyre lubricant to assist. Not washing up liquid.

Helps if the weather is warm.

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
« Reply #3 on: 07 March, 2018, 06:44:08 »
You really should not have to use long levers. If you do, you are getting it wrong. My bike toolkits hold 2 6" levers which are perfectly adequate using the right technique. I do possess longer levers, but they are only used for changing tractor tyres. 

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 March, 2018, 08:52:59 »
I agree. I've owned the same 3 x 8" tyre levers since my early 20's and these are perfectly adequate for any motorcycle tyre including very stiff off road tyres. As said, the trick is to make sure you push the part of the tyre already on the rim well into the well (the bit where the ends of the spoke nipples are) to make it easy to get the rest of the tyre on.

ROYC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 March, 2018, 10:37:30 »
The trouble that I have had is, truing the tire up on the wheel, (getting the line around the tire to run true on the rim.)
My bike is a 1958 A7SS

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 March, 2018, 12:32:22 »
I apply tyre lub to bead then inflate to about 50 psi, usually does the trick, unless the tyre is old or damaged.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 March, 2018, 12:39:20 »
I've put new tyres on a large number of motorbikes and I've only ever had this problem with one particular type of off road 21" front wheel (not BSA). This seemed to be a systemic problem with this particular wheel design and was probably due to the diameter of the shoulder on the inside of the rim being too large for the tyre bead. Other than that, I've always found the tyres slip on to the rim correctly provided tyre soap is applied first - that said, the rims and tyres were all brand new in each case. :)

ROYC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 March, 2018, 14:01:03 »
New rim, new tire, tire soap applied
The tire been removed, re fitted, half inflated, over inflated, levered one way then the other but still I cant get it to run perfectly true.
I am now hoping that a little use will sort it out.
The tire in question is an Avon 3.50 - 19 57L sidecar triple duty.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-50-19-57L-Avon-Side-Car-Triple-Duty-TT-Classic-Sidecar-Tyre-350-19/311846205575?epid=1634446755&hash=item489b7b7887:g:BQIAAOSwhQhY7yAH
« Last Edit: 07 March, 2018, 14:18:30 by ROYC »
My bike is a 1958 A7SS

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 March, 2018, 15:08:52 »
I've done three of the 21" front wheels mentioned and each one was a b***d to get the tyre on straight. In the end, it was a case of persistence, at each try forcing the non-alignment around the rim until eventually the tyre popped into place. It's probably unlikely it will right itself. Someone with the same problem as me (same bike) said he sorted it by inflating the tyre to 90 psi but I wouldn't recommend this!!