Author Topic: 1929 Sloper kick start  (Read 2229 times)

BEVANC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
1929 Sloper kick start
« on: 05 March, 2018, 05:04:11 »
Hi folks,
Could some one with a Sloper with a 3 speed box give me an indication of what angle the ks actually engages when you kick it over ?  On my bike, the ks is almost horizontal, meaning that there is very little travel to get the old girl spinning over and firing up.  Also, it tends to jam at the top, which I presume is due to the leading tooth on the quadrant not engaging correctly ?
Cheers,
Bevan

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: 1929 Sloper kick start
« Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2018, 11:37:24 »
My kickstart is at 27degrees from vertical at rest.
It engages with the teeth at 45 degrees.
It will travel to over 180 degrees, ie fully down, when swung (we don't kick Slopers ;))

I have always had enough travel with this.
As an aside, I recall the day I first bought it and got it home before going to bed that night I wanted one last look at it and gave a gentle, slow press on the kickstart to enjoy the low compression. Bloody hell..the damned thing started!

I hope you get it sorrted soon Bevan.
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

BEVANC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 March, 2018, 08:36:22 »
Thanks for the comparitive info Dean; I will have to open up the gearbox for a looksee - my ks is at a similar angle to yours when at rest, but does not engage until approx 80 degrees off the vertical.  My guess is that the leading edge of the quadrant is missing a number of teeth - can't think of any other explanation.
Cheers,
Bevan

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 March, 2018, 18:00:23 »
I've never had one of these apart so can't offer any advisebut please let us know what you find.
Good luck.
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

BEVANC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 March, 2018, 18:43:36 »
Will do.  Could be a month or two - I'm trying to get the final few things sorted on the rebuild of my Panther Sloper before i take the BSA apart.
Cheers,
Bevan

cbobin

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 March, 2018, 20:58:35 »
Even if the quadrant has teeth missing the kickstart should still be at a higher angle as the spring should return the kickstart to the normal position. Your problem may be related to the kickstart spring. I have had 2 1930s gearboxes where a small piece of the case had broken off where the spring attaches. It meant there was not enough tension to return the kickstart to the normal position. I fixed them both by drilling a small hole in the case and inserting a small spindle (approx 1/8”dia) to get the spring engaged in the correct position. This might be the reason why your kickstart is in the horizontal position but engaging with the gears will be a different problem.
Calvin

BEVANC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 March, 2018, 00:08:34 »
Thanks Calvin; that is a useful fix if needed.  I think my spring is probably o.k., because my ks is in the same sort of position as Deans when at rest.  It is the angle at which it initially engages which is the problem.
All will be revealed I hope when i get time to open it up.
Cheers,
Bevan