Author Topic: new to the forum and classics  (Read 1426 times)

Rob Gavin

• Star
    • View Profile
new to the forum and classics
« on: 20 February, 2018, 15:21:13 »
I'm a bit new to bikes, however my Dad was into them in his day.  Unfortunately he passed away a short while ago and I've been reminded his M20 is still sitting in my workshop.  Technically its my brothers now, but he has no mechanical ability so it looks like its resurrection will fall to me.

I know very little about the bike other than my dad got it before i was born in early 70's;  all its history and reg  are missing although i remember my dad getting it on the road back in the early 90's for a couple of years before an accident stopped him riding.

The bike has been off the road since early 90's however it ended up sitting out in all weathers for a few years before i moved it to my place about 7yrs ago.  It is siezed solid right now so looks like i've got my work cut up for me!

I restore classic cars (mainily minis) myself and do have a degree of mechanical ability, but bikes are a new think to me. Plenty of reading and research ahead

cee-b

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: new to the forum and classics
« Reply #1 on: 20 February, 2018, 17:35:05 »
The very best of luck with it Rob - and welcome to the forum

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 February, 2018, 17:57:37 »
Welcome and enjoy. Don't just pull it to bits and put it in boxes. Try putting oil down the plug holes for a few days to free it off for a start. Clean fuel tank out, clean carb and try to get a spark. Do loads of research in you spare time. I cut my teeth on Minis, not much difference. You will get lots of help on here. Don't throw anything away. If not sure takes pictures and ask us. Regards  :D

Rob Gavin

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 February, 2018, 09:13:06 »
Thanks all.

yes, i'm going to try and get it going as it is first, depending on what I find.  Doing my research now and hope to pull the bike out of its spot and get it somewhere I can get about it over a period of time.  Its unlikely to be a quick project, given how long it takes me to get anything else done - family responsibility and all that!

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 February, 2018, 17:07:53 »
Welcome Rob
Viva Patina! I would agree: It would be great if you could get it running, relialble and safe without loosing its character. Let the old girl show her age!
There's plently of spares availabe for the M20 and advice both here and on the wm20 forum.

My first bike was an M20 that I had in the early 70s and I've just finished rebuilding my second. A nice easy machine to work on.
Please keep us informed of you progress.
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

Rob Gavin

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 March, 2018, 14:00:41 »
Thanks Dean.  A project page will start when I get the bike back out of its hiding place