Author Topic: Headlight bulb lighting  (Read 5405 times)

CROFTY1984

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Headlight bulb lighting
« on: 19 February, 2018, 21:32:03 »
Hello all, I'm working on a wiring diagram for my A65, I'll be converting to negative earth and a few other things. When it comes to the headlight filaments, do you know if it's:
Dipped beam OR Main beam
Dipped beam AND Main beam
I'm looking at the '72 wiring diagram someone put up on here, but that has the 4 position key switch and my '71 has the 2 position key and a separate lighting switch on the headlamp shell.

I'd be happy to put the diagram* up if anyone's interested. In fact, I'd appreciate the feedback before I go ahead.
* Diagram is a VERY generous term. I've been hacking about on power point.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
Re: Headlight bulb lighting
« Reply #1 on: 20 February, 2018, 09:19:25 »
Not sure that I've ever heard of dipped beam AND main beam on a M/C before. Please provide a copy of the wiring diagram you are working to and I'll be happy to provide any help I can.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 February, 2018, 09:29:00 »
The only time you will get dip and main together would be for the moment when switching from main to dip and dip to main, as in the Wipac Ducon/Tricon/triconsul switches.

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 February, 2018, 10:47:06 »
Hi,
    I rebuilt my A65 loom using the least amount of wires I could, may help, diagram attached...

Best wishes...
« Last Edit: 20 February, 2018, 10:58:58 by Bess »

CROFTY1984

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 February, 2018, 12:26:28 »
Great, thanks. I was thinking about those bikes where dipped is one of the two headlights and main is both. Thanks for the offer of the diagram, I'll have a look on the laptop when I'm home. I'll put mine up when it's through draft one.

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 February, 2018, 15:24:34 »
I am about to buy a new ignition switch for my 1971. I was lead to believe that all OIF's had a four position switch. I too have a switch on the headlight shell. Does anyone have a definitive answer on these 1971 and 1971 OIF's, sorry to hijack thread.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 February, 2018, 16:39:29 »
It sounds as the two-position ignition switch and separate lighting switch relate to those of a 1973 A65 as shown?

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 February, 2018, 17:10:12 »
Hi Thumper. I have almost the identical 1971-72 diagram, it does not show the black switch that is on the top of the headlight shell. It would appear that mine was factory fitted ? Can't find it in the Lucas manuals either, a right puzzler ? Just looked on Dragonfly site, they list the switch in the headlight 19-1095 as a Kill Switch and in the price list they call it a lighting switch.
« Last Edit: 20 February, 2018, 17:46:17 by A10 JWO »

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 February, 2018, 18:00:54 »
Is the lighting switch shown in the 1973 diagram not a 3-way, 8 terminal Lucas 57SA toggle switch?

CROFTY1984

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 February, 2018, 18:47:42 »
Hi Thumper. I have almost the identical 1971-72 diagram, it does not show the black switch that is on the top of the headlight shell. It would appear that mine was factory fitted ? Can't find it in the Lucas manuals either, a right puzzler ? Just looked on Dragonfly site, they list the switch in the headlight 19-1095 as a Kill Switch and in the price list they call it a lighting switch.
Looking at mine and comparing it with the 4 position switch I've heard of and the one on my Bonneville, I think that wiring diagram isn't 100% for my '71 and possibly your bike. With the 4 position switch you have bike on, bike off, bike on with lights (and parking) so there's no need for a black headlight rotary switch to turn the lights on and off as it's done by the key.
With mine there's a 2-position key switch for bike on and off and a separate black headlight switch for lights on and off. I'm assuming the bikes from 72 onwards is when the "all in one" key switch came in, as per the diagram.

Caulky

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 February, 2018, 11:58:45 »
My '71 A65L wiring diagram shows a 3/4? way ignition switch.
The diagram is very poor, as is the description and all of the switch innards; whoever drew this didn't have a clue.
The key ignition/light switch has 3 terminals: 1 (N/G)is the feed from the battery/rectifier. 2 is (W) ignition, flasher unit . 3 (N/G) is pilot, rear light and instrument lights.
The rotary switch on the headlamp shell appears to be #11 shown as 'Switch'...no description.
So, what does switch #11 do?
Answer: (position 3) It is normally open, (ignition OFF) pilot light and rear light ON. (parking/breakdown emergency lighting).
But, in position 2 just the ignition is connected via R/H handlebar switch. (W to W/Y).
The engine is now running and you need lights. Switch #11 turned on, connects a U (blue) to the N/G.
Engine running, pilot on, dipped light on, rear lights on.
You could use the main beam by flipping the flipper switch, Pilot light is always on. 

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 February, 2018, 15:21:18 »
Hi Chauky. I kept looking at switch 11, it can't control the lights, I think. The only other switch that end is the front brake stop switch ?

Caulky

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 February, 2018, 17:21:08 »
If switch 11 is not switched on in ignition mode, there are no lights
The front brake switch is #12 (N) brown.

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 February, 2018, 16:20:28 »
Crofty, I've never seen that wiring diagram before so am intrigued to know what workshop manual it came from. My understanding from all the published books that for 1973, the model was a T65 which had a Triumph Tiger 650 engine, was fitted with the earlier front wheel, brake and mudguard, gaiters on the forks and earlier style pressed steel headlamp brackets and conical shape headlamp. (see attached pic).
My guess is they used the BSA model to shift old stock of Triumph 650 engines and Daytona wheels i.e. a bottom of the range parts bin special.
What are the letters on your engine/frame no.? (First letter is month and second is year) 1973 was H so for example if it was Dec 1973 it would be XH****.
A few pertinent questions: Is your ignition switch position towards the rear of the RH side panel?  Is the headlamp shell a flat type or more traditional conical shape? Is the light switch on the headlamp shell an on/off rotary switch with just two screw connections or a 3 position lighting switch (Toggle)?
Reasons for asking are the Lighting switch in the diagram above looks very much like the 3 pos toggle switch. 
Let us know as soon as you can
Chris

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 February, 2018, 16:23:06 »
Sorry I should have acknowledged the source of the picture was from 'BSA A50/A65 Twins All models 1962-1972' by Roy Bacon ref Niton Publishing, Isle of Wight.
Chris