Author Topic: My 1969 BSA Starfire Scrambler Project  (Read 111 times)

CarsofChaos

• Star
    • View Profile
My 1969 BSA Starfire Scrambler Project
« on: 30 January, 2018, 01:42:34 »
Greetings all,
New to the forum and to Brit bikes. Just pulled this 1969 BSA Starfire Scrambler out of a hut in eastern Pennsylvania last weekend. As you can see, it's quite rough, but I love this style of bike. Hopefully this site will be a good location for me to find parts and get the help I will most surely need. I am not looking to restore this to show quality, just make it a nice driver.
Keith

DEAN SOUTHALL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: My 1969 BSA Starfire Scrambler Project
« Reply #1 on: 30 January, 2018, 17:18:42 »
Welcome Keith
You've found yourself a nice practical bike there. I have had a couple over the yaers and found them very useabe machines. I must admit that when I restored the second one I had a transfer of a hand-grenade made for the pertol tank. People used to warn of these engines blowing up but if they did it has to be remembered that they were popular with young learner riders and got their nuts thrashed off them!

Feel free to ask any questions as they arise. They are a very helpful bunch on here.

CROFTY1984

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: My 1969 BSA Starfire Scrambler Project
« Reply #2 on: 01 February, 2018, 16:13:46 »
I've got one of those! Great little bike. The Rupert Ratio manuals are a godsend, definitely buy those. Like, right now.
All bikes are different of course but on mine I find the best way to start it is tickle, no throttle whatsoever, edge it just past TDC and boot it.
I've also found a Wassell electronic ignition and new carb (Amal still build them in the UK) work wonders, plus a little electronic Speedo from eBay. Bear in mind is positive earth when doing any wiring.