Author Topic: My fathers previous pride and joy  (Read 976 times)

andyw_999

• Star
    • View Profile
My fathers previous pride and joy
« on: 20 February, 2017, 21:38:14 »
Evening everyone,

Slightly random one, my father is a bike fan and when I was a young boy he had in the shed what I remember as a silver bike. When I was around 9 (in 1986) he was forced to sell it. Some years later he bought a Honda Superdream which he still owns, but to this day he talks about the BSA he had to part with.

I believe the bike may still be on the road and I'm curious if anyone on the forum knows the bike and would be interested in exchanging experiences of owning it. The bike was a 1966 Lightening and it's reg was JPW42D.

Many thanks
Andy

Arthur

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
Re: My fathers previous pride and joy
« Reply #1 on: 20 February, 2017, 22:51:23 »
Andy.

Unfortunately, when you check road tax or MOT against that registration number on the DVLA web site, it is not recognised. This would seem to indicate that it's been inactive for so long or has been scrapped, DVLA have removed it from their database?

andyw_999

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 February, 2017, 15:15:50 »
Apologies, I've double checked with my dad and I had finger trouble, the reg was JPW49D. I've looked on the DVLA web site and it does look like it is still on the road, which is great.

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2017, 15:55:51 »
Hi. 8)
If you fill in the DVLA form 888 and ask the right questions, DVLA  MIGHT be prepared to supply you with the details of the current owner.

Its only a chance but worth a try.

Mike :D :D :D

Arthur

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 February, 2017, 17:06:38 »
Unfortunately, this is exactly what the Data Protection Act prevents the DVLA from doing!

Arthur

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 February, 2017, 17:22:53 »
To expand further - Regulation 27 of the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002 provides:

(1) The Secretary of State may make any particulars contained in the register available for useó

(e) by any person who can show to the satisfaction of the Secretary of State that he has reasonable cause for wanting the particulars to be made available to him.

As a general rule, reasonable cause for the release of data from the DVLA vehicle register relates to motoring incidents with driver or keeper liability. These can include matters of road safety, events occurring as a consequence of vehicle use, the enforcement of road traffic legislation and the collection of taxes. In all matters regarding data release, we act responsibly and in accordance with legislation.

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 March, 2017, 09:55:42 »
Hi 

I agree the last post entirely and as Arthur this is "with held" info. However for the sake of a second class stamp I always believe its worth a go.

Worst case is you are in the same situation.

Mike

Arthur

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 March, 2017, 11:21:23 »
stamp + £5  :)

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 March, 2017, 14:13:27 »
 8) 8)Correct--although on two occasions whence they were unable to assist, they refunded my fiver. Mike :)