Author Topic: Help needed in the spring.  (Read 2010 times)

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Help needed in the spring.
« on: 10 January, 2018, 16:55:14 »
My project A65 is gathering pace. The frame, forks and wheels are finished. The body parts are in the paint shop. I am putting the engine cases in the aqua blasters tomorrow then will start rebuilding the engine from the ground up. The problem I have is my age. I have not got a hope in hell of fitting the new engine in my newly painted frame as I cannot lift it in. I have all the brand new engine mounting bolts ready. Is anyone local and strong enough just to help me get the engine loosely in place. Will cover expenses and bacon rolls. I am near Rayleigh in Essex and hoping to fit it in March or April. Thanks.

LightningJames

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed in the spring.
« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2018, 16:30:18 »
If I lived closer I would gladly help. Hope somebody else can. Good luck 🍻

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2018, 17:24:07 »
Hopefully I have a volunteer if his back gets better. Thanks for reply.

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2018, 18:47:04 »
Is it feasible to lie the engine on its side and then do the same with the frame over the top of engine, if that makes sense.

I saw that done with another classic bike cant remember what it was.

You are still left with the problem of lifting frame and engine back upright though!

:o

cheers

derek

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2018, 09:53:59 »
 :)

That's what I normally do pre putting the wheels on.

Its certainly the best way to avoid knocking paint off the frame.

Mike 8) 8)

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 January, 2018, 16:06:02 »
Thanks lads, the new wheels are fitted and it does weigh a fair bit without the engine. I wish the weather would warm up I am itching to get in the garage.

JOHN KAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 January, 2018, 18:00:55 »
HI THERE
WHAT MIGHT BE POSSIBLE IS JUST TO PUT THE REBUILT CRANKCASES WITH CRANKSHAFT IN THE FRAME
SO THAT WEIGHT IS MINIMAL THEN REBUILD REST OF ENGINE AT YOUR CONVENIENCE . DONT KNOW IF
THAT WILL SUIT YOU THOUGH . REGARDS JOHNBOY .

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 January, 2018, 13:34:51 »
Whilst putting the engine back together remember to put the rear mounting studs (3 off) in place in the rear of the gearbox housing before joining the crankcases as they wont go in afterwards. Also, if you have the rear chain cover (black plate that fits behind the gearbox sprocket area, that keeps road grit and muck from getting behind the primary chaincase) fit that before plonking the engine in the frame as its nigh on impossible to fit afterwards. That's why you dont see them on there very often.
Chris

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 January, 2018, 15:29:52 »
Thanks Editor. When I picked up the bike in bits I wondered why that engine mounting plate was still in place. Could barely wriggle the engine bolts out. I read up on that as I have a decent manual. I have all new engine mounting bolts exactly the right length.
The metal plate is painted ready to go back on and I have new screws-bolts for that part. The engine came back from the Vapour Blasters yesterday, stunning. The rebuild begins.

Again thanks for your good solid advice. Colin