Author Topic: Rocker Inspection Nuts  (Read 1027 times)

briand2

• Star
    • View Profile
Rocker Inspection Nuts
« on: 09 January, 2018, 16:37:37 »
Just starting out on restoration of my 1963 A10 Goldflash and wondering why the nuts holding the rocker inspection covers are held on with the oddly shaped extended nuts. I'm thinking it would look better with chromed/S/S domed nuts, is there any reason why I shouldn't change to them?

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Rocker Inspection Nuts
« Reply #1 on: 09 January, 2018, 17:47:02 »
Apart from SS/chome looking too bright, which is down to individula taste, dome nuts might not allow enough clearance to get a spanner on given the recess and dome of the rocker covers. They are in a fiddly position and the raise nuts give you an easier finger grip while getting them started.  No harm in gettimg one and trying though,
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: Rocker Inspection Nuts
« Reply #2 on: 09 January, 2018, 18:21:50 »
The original nuts used by the factory on the GA7 frame number bikes 1960  were a reduced hex plain nut, part 01 6032, which took a 2BA spanner. The top stud on the inlet cover was different from the other 7, with flats machined to allow use of spanner to remove it,  giving better clearance when removing/refitting the A10 rocker box.

I dont think there is enough clearance on the cover recesses to fit a full hex nut.