Author Topic: SMITHS CHRONOMETRIC SPEEDOMETER - LUBRICATION.  (Read 4600 times)

MALCOLM.JOHNSON

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
SMITHS CHRONOMETRIC SPEEDOMETER - LUBRICATION.
« on: 19 February, 2017, 20:28:08 »
I have removed the bezel, glass and instrument mechanism, to allow me to do a proper job of re-painting the case, cleaning glass etc. I have no intention of any further dismantling as the speedometer seems to work fine, despite no motion over many years standing unused. Have members any thoughts about taking the opportunity of lubricating the mechanism while it is possible to do so? I had wondered about a light spray with WD40 allowing time to drain off before reassembly back into the case.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
Re: SMITHS CHRONOMETRIC SPEEDOMETER - LUBRICATION.
« Reply #1 on: 19 February, 2017, 20:54:41 »
Don't use WD40 - it has almost zero lubricating properties and could wash away any existing lubrication!

I have a feeling that the internals of a chronometric speedo should be regarded in the same way as a clock mechanism and I would therefore use extreme caution before trying to lubricate it. Need to find out what form of lubrication is used in the chronometric - could be self lubricating or even greased.

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
« Reply #2 on: 19 February, 2017, 22:25:43 »
Watchmakers have 2 preferred lubricants. Whale oil and the grease from the side of your nose. If you ever see a watchmaker assembling a mechanism, spot the casual wipe of a spindle against his nose. Seriously. Generally speaking, brass components will not require lubrication.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 February, 2017, 10:00:37 »
If it is working OK I would avoid tampering. It is easy to upset the mechanism.

However  if you wish to service it there are a number of articles to be found on the internet which will give you some insight into the workings.

This link is one such;

http://www.wdbsa.nl/Jaeger-Chronometric-Overhaul.pdf

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 February, 2017, 10:38:08 »
Apparently, the Smiths chronometric speedo main bearings are lubricated via felt pads and clock oil. If the speedo is apart, I might be tempted to give then a drop more of clock oil on these pads if you can get to them.

MALCOLM.JOHNSON

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 February, 2017, 14:03:48 »
Thank you all for your replies. That article is a great asset Julian. I have printed that off for future reference. Oil the little pads seems the answer. Great.