Author Topic: A65 problems  (Read 6013 times)

KEVZEBOY

• Star
    • View Profile
A65 problems
« on: 03 January, 2018, 12:01:28 »
Hello and happy New Year!

This is my early A65. She has an engine no3711. Just a couple of questions on vanity; should it have a different front end on it a totally enclosed chain guard?

I got her is 2015 off eBay from a chap who deals in bits and bobs. It was supposed to have had a top end rebuild and just needed the electrics sorted. The previous owner had gone into an home or something like that. (Tried to contact him about the bike when I got the log book back, but wouldn’t speak to me).

Anyway, as it’s an early one, it was 6V. On advice from my bike guru, I was advised to convert her to 12v. Ironically, that month Roadholder mag from the Norton Club had a step by step guide of how to do this. I duly did and added a Boyer electronic ignition at the same time with a duel output coil of the same make. I thought this was a good idea as there was no coils or points on the bike.

I got her going and MOTed.

On the second outing, she nipped up, big style.

What does anyone think about what we can see from the photos so far?

The block feels smooth, that glitter stuff must be melted alloy. There is a couple of rough bits away from the any picking up that looks like someone has gripped them with something. Real rough like a zester!

See small ends too!

The crank case looks like it’s been cut or two mated together? Oil tight, you can see wet sumping! (The rest will come to pieces next weekend, hopefully)

Your views on this are welcomed.

So far( thinking of an SRM roller convention and one of their oil pumps) +60 is the limit? Do I re-sleeve or get a big bore kit?

Kevin
« Last Edit: 03 January, 2018, 15:07:47 by Admin »

KEVZEBOY

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: A65 problems
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2018, 12:03:00 »
Sorry, won’t let me post pics!

KEVZEBOY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2018, 14:07:29 »
Ha!

KEVZEBOY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2018, 14:08:44 »
Emailed them to self at lower quality!

KEVZEBOY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2018, 14:09:43 »
More

KEVZEBOY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2018, 14:10:25 »
More

Greybeard

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 January, 2018, 15:28:43 »
Glad to see your original post has been edited. Some comments are simply not needed and can be quite offensive.
Good luck with the dead engine.

Steve
Steve from East Yorkshire - Not the Greybeard of the A7/A10 forum who was not actually registered on this one when I signed up ;-)

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 January, 2018, 18:07:06 »

What happened to the bridge that connects the crankcases you can see it in pic above.

Top end seizure can have many causes, pistons may have been too tight in bores or could have been running lean, what colour are the spark plugs? small ends look bad big ends are probably the same.

good to see some detailed pics to have a look at.

Cheers

derek

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 January, 2018, 18:21:01 »
You need to replace the crankcase because of the broken fixing.

Something does not look right with the cam followers, one obviously missing the others look marked though the photo not is not very  clear.

I recommend a complete stripdown to see exactly what you have and what you need to do. Going by the photos posted expect to find other issues and to spend lots.

KEVZEBOY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 January, 2018, 19:45:14 »
Glad to see your original post has been edited. Some comments are simply not needed and can be quite offensive.
Good luck with the dead engine.

Steve

Have I missed something?

KEVZEBOY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 January, 2018, 19:50:09 »
You need to replace the crankcase because of the broken fixing.

Something does not look right with the cam followers, one obviously missing the others look marked though the photo not is not very  clear.

I recommend a complete stripdown to see exactly what you have and what you need to do. Going by the photos posted expect to find other issues and to spend lots.

Would the center piece be repairable?

The missing cam follower dropped in the hole! Hope to be reunited with it when I take the bottom to bits at the weekend.

She is engine no 3711

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 January, 2018, 11:35:37 »
 :)

Hi. You can go to .080" over but make sure that you can still get the pistons  but before you do anything about. New barrels ???? maybe but you could be in almost the same situ cos most of the ones that are available are worn. You can get them relined but you will need to shop around cos the liners are not readily available. (I have some being done at the moment but cant find out where "the man" got the liners from, he could well have had them spun.  I'm told BSA never produced a relining kit, but I'm open to advice on that)

As for repairing the bridge----it could be done but it would be a hell of a job.

As previously advised I would strip it and see what you've got then get hold of another bottom casing and go from there.

I will contact engineer again today and try to let you know about relining cost and availability. Incidently the ones I'm having done are already at .080"

Mike 8) 8)

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
« Reply #12 on: 04 January, 2018, 14:32:46 »
it looks like it was seized badly before you bought it and ham-fistedly freed off to make it turn over prior to sale. It does require a total strip down. The Rolls Royce approach is to go for an SRM bottom end conversion and oil pump BUT the standard bush and pump (assuming your pump is OK) are perfectly adequate as long as the bush is fitted properly and line reamed.
Too often heaps of junk are advertised on eBay which does the classic bike movement no favours. I had intended to put my Velocette on eBay but it needed a fair bit of work done to make it fit to sell. I wasn't going to let some poor buyer discover its faults. So I fixed everything and behold, it has turned out to be a cracking bike that I now wouldn't part with. Hopefully your A65 once sorted will turn out to be a great machine too.     

KEVZEBOY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 January, 2018, 22:02:19 »
Hi there and thanks for you responses.

Star Twin, don’t sell your Velocette, everyone should have one!

I sent an email to SRM with the above pictures to see if what I had was scrap and unworthy of getting reworked, and should I seek better second hand to get reworked?

This was Geoff Dewhurst’s response:

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your enquiry, the strap across the crankcases does not scrap them and is often seen broken from a rod breakage or just brutal treatment, one thing I have noticed is the two drillings above the idler gear and the crank pinion, these are not standard and is something that is done during the needle roller conversion there is also a Job no of what looks like F54 so maybe it has been converted by a company called Devimead before 1987, as we bought them out at this time but do not have their records. You can check by looking to see if a block of alloy has been welded to the inner timing cover below where the points would sit, if so this is the oilway to feed down the end of the crankshaft.
                The cylinders should not be a problem to repair, and to fit liners to take it back to standard bore size.
Hope this is good news.
Regards Geoff

I am very happy with this. I know he’s only going off pictures, but I am sure he has seen some right basket cases.

I hope the bottom end isn’t too terrible when I take it to bits at the weekend!

Kevin

KEVZEBOY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 January, 2018, 23:02:01 »
Con rods.