Author Topic: The big day is nearly here..  (Read 253 times)

gusmagicbus

• Star
    • View Profile
The big day is nearly here..
« on: 27 December, 2017, 19:55:43 »
Hi Folks,

After seven years of hard labour, laughter, sweat and tears, it's nearly time to see if the BSA C15 SS80 runs again. It was my first rebuilt and not a single nut or bolt on the entire bike has been spared. New big end, cylinder rebore, new piston and rings etc. etc. I am looking for any advice on a sensible way to commission/run in?

Also i'm thinking of buying an oil filter protect all that hard work. What's the general opinion on aftermarket oil filters?

All advice gratefully recieved,

Thanks

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
Re: The big day is nearly here..
« Reply #1 on: 27 December, 2017, 20:08:21 »
I've just run an engine (not BSA) that I recently rebuilt. I checked all settings and carb carefully before attempting to start it. I also squirted some engine oil into the cylinder and an turned it over a few times to make sure it was well oiled. Main thing to check once it starts is that you have a good oil return to the oil tank - if not then you will need to investigate why before running the engine for very long.

A10 JWO

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 December, 2017, 15:38:46 »
Don't rev it up on the stand, turn Radio 4 off so you can hear. Look around oil joints with a mirror. Do not labour the engine..Check plug colour. Consider nipping up head bolts as per workshop manual. Enjoy  ;D

DEAN SOUTHALL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 December, 2017, 19:55:03 »
........ turn Radio 4 off........

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone! ;D

SUPERGRUMPS

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 January, 2018, 16:03:34 »
Did the same thing a year or so ago, before I tried starting i took the plug out and kicked it over to oil came out of the return pipe or the feed to the rockers.